Forum Discussion

AndyHughes
Regular Contributor
13 years ago

There must be a way to do this - please help!

I have a request I need to send to a service, where the contents of a particular tag in the xml I am sending needs to change each time the test is run. I thought I could use SOAPUI Pro and the data driven testing functionality to achieve this but I'm now not sure that this is what I need. SOAPUI Pro allows me to read in different values each time the request is made and running this test in LOADUI means that the test is run a lot of times etc. BUT, I need control passed to LOADUI every time a request is made. So I dont want to run the SOAPUI test case via the runner in LOADUI as that will mean that my file of data values gets executed as part of the SOAPUI test by utilising the data source loop, before it then gets passed back to the generator module etc etc. I need the SOAPUI test to only execute ONE request rather than looping through the data values.

It's almost like I need the data source and Loop functionality in LOADUI rather than SOAP UI.

Please Help.

8 Replies

SmartBear_Suppo
    SmartBear Alumni (Retired)
    Hi!

It sounds that you want the DataSource to be set to shared in soapUI (see DataSource Options here).

Regards

Henrik
    SmartBear Software
    AndyHughes
    Regular Contributor
    That was a quick response. Thanks. Whilst you are online and its fresh in my mind, does this mean that each thread will have knowledge of what data value the previous thread used? Do I actually need my SOAPUI test to contain the loop back part? Or just the data source part. If it doesn't have the loop back, this would mean it ends, which I think is what I want.
    I think I need the thread to end as soon as the request is done. If multiple threads are running presumably the next one that is launched knows what has been used from the data set (and what is currently being used)?
    AndyHughes
    Regular Contributor
    ....and isn't that a setting for the load testing in SOAPUI??
    I want to use LOADUI for the load testing. Will it have the same effect?
    SmartBear_Suppo
    AndyHughes wrote:
    ....and isn't that a setting for the load testing in SOAPUI??
    I want to use LOADUI for the load testing. Will it have the same effect?

Yes, it will have the same effect.

/Henrik
    AndyHughes
    Regular Contributor
    I think using a shared data source is something I needed to do and overlooked so thanks. But I don't think it solves the key thing that I want to do. Am I right in thinking that removing the loop step at the end will help achieve what I want?
    I hoping it will mean that only one request will be set per 'soapui test' rather than the test case looping through the data set. This will hopefully mean that I can acurately load test with one request per thread.
    Is there anything more I need to do to make sure that subsequent threads 'know' what data row to choose?
    SmartBear_Suppo
    Yes, removing the loop step sounds like it should achieve what you want.

Regards,
    Dain
    SmartBear Software
    AndyHughes
    Regular Contributor
    I think I've got it working now. But there are a number of issues with load UI output.

1.I wanted to make sure that the requests I am making and the responses are correct. So I set up a property in SOAPUI called response which stores the response from the request. This works when I run it in SOAPUI but I want to output it for each request in LOADUI. There is a setting on the SOAPUI runner component to 'Add test case properties to result message'. Is this what I need to use because it doesn't seem to work. What is the result message and where can I view it? The table logs?
    Also within the settings for this component are the 'Properties' which contain the test case properties. But the property I just made isn't there. Is this significant?

2. Although I am getting data out in the table logs, there is no graph in the stats component. Also I'm unable to select the test case in the source id field until after I've run the test, and even then, no graph is produced. When I reset the test, the stats component loses all knowledge of the test case and only 'none' is available.

Thanks
  • Hi,

I want to run my same test suite in 2 environments i.e. Staging and Production.We have 2 different URLS which i have set in environment tab.

Now my requiremnt is to change the test data source based on the environment selected.
    For Eg. for a Field Dealer, we have 2 values A and B.
    When Staging is the environment selected, dealer value that needs to be used is A and when production is selected, value B shoudl be used. I am currently using excel sheet to read the test data .

Please suggest me how to do settings that the test data gets changed automatically based on environment selected.

Please reply ASAP