Forum Discussion

Stalsy
Contributor
3 years ago
Solved

Ready API 3.6.0 Testing for HTTP 405

To Test HTTP 405 - Method Not Allowed I have created a new resource for each API.  These resources are identical to the original APIs but if the original is a GET the "405" new resource is a POST and vice versa.  Everything works OK, I call the new resource and of course I get HTTP 405... Except for 2 APIs when I changed environments I was was not getting HTTP 405! Then I realised that the actual test steps reverted to calling the original APIs!  So, I deleted the steps, but now every time I "Add Step" to my test case and I select the "405" Rest request, ReadyAPI adds the original step!  For example, I am adding a step called VerifyCust405 which is a POST and ReadyAPI is adding VerifyCustomer which is a GET!  (VerifyCust405 and VerifyCustomer have identical URIs but of course one is a POST and one is a GET)

Has anyone encountered this before?

I have tried adding the step to the test case (by right clicking on the tests case and selecting "Insert Step", and also tried right clicking on the say VerifyCust405 and selecting "Add to Test Case".  In both cases I'mm adding a VerifyCust405 (POST) and ReadyApi inserts VerifyCustomer (GET)!

• Hey Stalsy,

If youve set the APIs up in ReadyAPI! as im guessing you have then this is is a known defect with ReadyAPI! It mightve been fixedin a more recent version, but i stumbled across this issue a while back in about v3.3

If you setup the requests with different methods, but within the same service (so the sibling requests of the same service), then youll see the behaviour youve noticed.

Setup the different requests in separate services and this will sort your problem.

Im on my phone rightnow so cant add screenshots. Try and follow the above instructions and if youre still not clear, reply back and i'll add screenshots to help explain.

Cheers,

Rich

3 Replies

• How does everyone else test HTTP 405 using ReadyAPI?

richie
      Community Hero
      Hey Stalsy,

If youve set the APIs up in ReadyAPI! as im guessing you have then this is is a known defect with ReadyAPI! It mightve been fixedin a more recent version, but i stumbled across this issue a while back in about v3.3

If you setup the requests with different methods, but within the same service (so the sibling requests of the same service), then youll see the behaviour youve noticed.

Setup the different requests in separate services and this will sort your problem.

Im on my phone rightnow so cant add screenshots. Try and follow the above instructions and if youre still not clear, reply back and i'll add screenshots to help explain.

Cheers,

Rich
        Stalsy
        Contributor

Thanks Rich,

it's a lot of husslse as I have 7 APIs and two environments, but it worked!

I created a new service 'ALL405s', set up the end-points and authentication for each environment for the new service,  and cloned every request from the original service to the new one.  Then of course I had to replace in every HTTP405 test case the 'Rest Request' step from the original service to the one from the 'ALL405s'.

All good now.

Thank you again