Forum Discussion

fastbill
Contributor
14 years ago

On Mac,soapUI Pro 3.6 doesn't follow standard UI conventions

I recently upgraded to soapUI 3.6 Pro on my Mac, running Mac OS 10.6.4. I find this release far more awkward and more difficult to use than 3.5.1. Among other things:

1) Cut / Copy / Paste keystrokes are inconsistent -- sometimes it's necessary to use the Control key as the modifier, other times the Command key must be used. On a Mac, the only keystrokes that should be supported for Cut / Copy / Paste are Command+X, Command+C, and Command+V.

2) Similarly, on a Mac the keystroke for Undo is Command+Z. Sometimes v3.6 responds to this key; at other times, it responds only to Ctrl+Z.

3) The same is true for "Select All" in a text field such as a selected Property, or a Source Path in a Property Transfer. Sometimes, it's Command+A, other times it's Ctrl+A. On a Mac, it should be Command+A.

4) Dropdown lists in Property Transfers don't work (previously reported, and answered)

As the old expression says, "When in Rome, do as the Romans do." Paraphrasing, "When on Mac, do as the Mac does."

7 Replies

tdavid_1
    Occasional Contributor
    So now on SOAPUI 4.0 Cut / Copy / Paste / Undo, do not work at all. They do not even show up in any menu.
    >:(
  • You can perform cut / copy / paste using standard keystrokes. In version 4.0.1 on the Mac, press:
      Command+X to Cut selected text
      Command+C to Copy selected text
      Command+V to Paste at the cursor location
    tdavid_1
    Occasional Contributor
    I was not clear. Let me restate that as:

"Now on SOAPUI 4.0 Cut [cmd-X] / Copy [cmd-C] / Paste [cmd-V] / Undo [cmd-Z], do not work at all[, "AND" t]hey do not even show up in any menu."

If I am doing something wrong I would really like to know what it is.

Thanks for any other suggestions.
  • I've been using soapUI since v3.5, and I don't recall ever seeing Undo/Cut/Copy/Paste in any soapUI menu. (This lack of adherence to common UI conventions is probably an oversight on the part of eviware.)

However, I have had no problems in v4.0 or v4.0.1 using cmd-x, cmd-c, cmd-v, and cmd-z in request and response messages, property transfer scripts, or Groovy scripts.
    tdavid_1
    Occasional Contributor
    Ok. Maybe I am acting too much like a "user".

Should I be able to "Copy" a service from Project "A" and "Paste" it into Project "B"?

Or not?
  • Sure...but it's not done with copy-and-paste. In soapUI, you "clone" something that you have in one Project and want in another Project. You can clone an individual Test Step, a Test Case, or an entire Test Suite.

In the Navigator pane, right-click the item that you want to clone. You'll find "Clone ..." in the contextual menu. Selecting that will display a dialog box in which you specify the target(s). For example, if you clone a Test Step the dialog box lets you specify the Target Project, Target TestSuite, and Target TestCase (all of which default to the current locations). The default Name is "Copy of xxx" (where "xxx" is the name of the item you are cloning), so you can clone a Test Step within the same Test Case, clone a Test Case within the same Test Suite, etc., without a name conflict.

When I clone an item into a different Test Suite or a different Project, I usually remove "Copy of" from the item's Name.
    tdavid_1
    Occasional Contributor
    Live and learn. That worked.

(ED: Seems un-natural though. I think the normal UI paradigm [which works in Eclipse btw] would be more user friendly.)

Thank you for following up.