Forum Discussion

valentinamatera
Occasional Contributor
5 years ago
Solved

Multiple users updating one project without using Git

Hi,

My colleagues and me are working with SoapUI Pro 3.0.0. This mean there are more than 1 user who need to execute different tests within the same project. We have just one requirement: we don't want to use Git integration, but we are working with SVN. 

I've seen some posts on composite projects and collaborative soapui project work but I'm still a bit hazy on the details - so I was wondering if anyone could clarify. 

What I think I need is the following:

1. save the existing single user project as a composite project

2. set pretty print responses checkbox in the WSDL preferences

3. use a version control app: SVN

4. Move composite project file to be within the version control of SVN

Does the above sound correct?

How would the merge of user1, user2 and user3 changes be applied?

We're using ReadyAPI v.3.0.0

Thanks to any and all that can help!

• It is not necessary to use git or something, use any repository that in place for your project. That will help not to lose the work, helps in the team.

When there are more than one user working on the same or related project artifacts, some time or the other it needs to use merge in the repository, be it a developer or qa team. The same applies here in your case as well.
    Always the one who does the check-in first will be winner or does not need to do merging, but the one who needs to do check-in later have to merge. Some time it can be quite complex to do as this member may not aware what the other member has done, especially if worked on the same code/test. If require this member who does the check-in later have to connect with other member or take help to do the merge or merge(if other member is not available) and ask other member to review.

And to add to complex, ReadyAPI adds id to each test step which might be additional overhead to handle merging.

I am not sure if the above helps you in any way.

One thing that can be done :
    - Member A, B checked-out the project
    - Member A worked on say Suite1 and checked-in
    - Member B worked on say Suite2 and have to check-in

In this case,
    - Member B can have a copy of his modification aside, and just export the Suite2 into a separate xml file.
    - Checkout fresh copy of the project, open it in the tool
    - Import the suite xml that was exported earlier into the project and save the project
    - Member B now is ready to check-in.
    NOTE: above are for simple project, never used composite project.

So, it is better for the team member to make the check-ins at the end of the each day (than quite late) with a logical completion of what he/she is doing. And early bird gets benefit of no merging.

1 Reply

nmrao
    Champion Level 3
    It is not necessary to use git or something, use any repository that in place for your project. That will help not to lose the work, helps in the team.

When there are more than one user working on the same or related project artifacts, some time or the other it needs to use merge in the repository, be it a developer or qa team. The same applies here in your case as well.
    Always the one who does the check-in first will be winner or does not need to do merging, but the one who needs to do check-in later have to merge. Some time it can be quite complex to do as this member may not aware what the other member has done, especially if worked on the same code/test. If require this member who does the check-in later have to connect with other member or take help to do the merge or merge(if other member is not available) and ask other member to review.

And to add to complex, ReadyAPI adds id to each test step which might be additional overhead to handle merging.

I am not sure if the above helps you in any way.

One thing that can be done :
    - Member A, B checked-out the project
    - Member A worked on say Suite1 and checked-in
    - Member B worked on say Suite2 and have to check-in

In this case,
    - Member B can have a copy of his modification aside, and just export the Suite2 into a separate xml file.
    - Checkout fresh copy of the project, open it in the tool
    - Import the suite xml that was exported earlier into the project and save the project
    - Member B now is ready to check-in.
    NOTE: above are for simple project, never used composite project.

So, it is better for the team member to make the check-ins at the end of the each day (than quite late) with a logical completion of what he/she is doing. And early bird gets benefit of no merging.