Forum Discussion

vema
New Contributor
2 years ago
Solved

Multiple users sharing(and updating) the same project without use of Git or any other repositories.

I have developed multiple test projects in ReadyAPI by now. I need to share the projects with other team members in the technology team. I was wondering what I need to do to make sure the changes they make to the projects in ReadyAPI on their own machine would not overwrite the projects I am working on on my machine.

One of the team members, downloaded the projects from the network and opened it in his own machine. After making changes and saving the changes, we noticed it did overwrite what I was doing on my own machine.

So, I still need to share the projects with other team members and they need to use the projects but making sure whatever they do, will not overwrite the projects I'm working on.

Please kindly advise.

Thanks,

• vema,

if you need to share and change the same testing project, I believe using Git is the right way, and I am not aware of any (better) alternative.

The benefits are:

• you can collaborate (doing changes simultaneously)
    • you can track all changes
    • you have a shared repository, which can be controlled/secured

Though, you need to get familiar with Git. 

If you stay with a single XML format you can't have all these benefits, it's a large file which changes at many places every time.

Best regards,

Karel@apimate.eu

4 Replies

KarelHusa
    Champion Level 3

Hi vema,

For sharing the tests, you can use the same approach as sharing the code.

In the past, ReadyAPI projects were only in a single XML file, almost impossible to share and version.

Currently, you can switch to a composite format which you can use for Git versioning.

Best regards,

Karel

vema
      New Contributor

Hi Karel,

I was asked to find a solution other than Git versioning. 

Do you know it would affect the project I am working on in readyAPI if I email the single xml file to another user to open it and use it?

KarelHusa
        Champion Level 3

vema,

if you need to share and change the same testing project, I believe using Git is the right way, and I am not aware of any (better) alternative.

The benefits are:

• you can collaborate (doing changes simultaneously)
        • you can track all changes
        • you have a shared repository, which can be controlled/secured

Though, you need to get familiar with Git. 

If you stay with a single XML format you can't have all these benefits, it's a large file which changes at many places every time.

Best regards,

Karel@apimate.eu