Forum Discussion

jkrier
Regular Contributor
7 years ago
Solved

How to run SoapUI API commands in an external script

Does anyone know how to run SoapUI commands from an external script?

For example if I have an external script that does an evaluation based on an XML response and if I get the wrong response I want the test to fail how do you add testRunner.fail()

Here is an example of a class I have sitting in my script library. I can call it and pass inputs to it but I can't get it to actually fail the test case.

package library.serviceAvailabilityResult

import org.apache.commons.lang.RandomStringUtils

class ServiceAvailabilityResult {

String getServiceAvailabilityResult(String result) {

String serviceAvailabilityResult

if (result == "yes") {
			serviceAvailabilityResult = result
		} else if (result == "no") {
			testRunner.fail('SERVICE IS NOT AVAILABLE')
		}
	}
}

I have many tests that rely on the "serviceAvailabilityResult" and would rather not have to create a groovy step in each one to do this one thing in case I need to add to it or make changes in the future I would rather have only one place for maintenance purposes.

Radford
    7 years ago

groovyguy, you shouldn't need to import the entire library.

Reworking the original Class file a bit (I've made the getServiceAvailabilityResult method static for ease of calling, but I understand that this is just a cut down example so this may not be possible with the actual script):

static String getServiceAvailabilityResult(testRunner, String result) {

def serviceAvailabilityResult = ''

if(result == "yes") {
    		}else if(result == "no"){
    			serviceAvailabilityResult = 'SERVICE IS NOT AVAILABLE'
    			testRunner.fail(serviceAvailabilityResult)
    		}else{
    			serviceAvailabilityResult = 'Unrecognised input result parameter value "' + result + '"'
    		}

return serviceAvailabilityResult
    	}
    }

I could then call this from a test case setup script, like so:

import library.serviceAvailabilityResult.ServiceAvailabilityResult

// The variable inputString must be 'yes' or 'no'
    def inputString = 'no'
    def returnString = ServiceAvailabilityResult.getServiceAvailabilityResult(testRunner, inputString)

log.info('ServiceAvailabilityResult.getServiceAvailabilityResult = ' + returnString)

with the test case being failed as expected.

jkrier, if your requirement for having an external script was to just have one script to maintain I would still recomend that you investigate Ready APIs Event functionality.

6 Replies

Radford
    Super Contributor

The "testRunner" object you are referring to (along with others, like log, context, etc) are provided by Ready API, to the scripts written/run within it's script editors, here is the documentation for the Groovy test step, with their details (Note: different Ready API Groovy editors will provide subtly different objects).

While I fully understand your requirement for a single external script, you can't just "call" these internally provided objects from external scripts.

I see one of two possible solutions:

1. Rework your external script function (this function actually being a method of a class) to pass in a reference to the testRunner object, as I assume that you will be calling this external script from an internal location that provides the testRunner object, probably from a test case setup script.
    2. Use the Ready API Events functionality. Here you can write a single script that is triggered on an event, for example "Before a test case runs". The advantage of this is that it is an internal script that has access to the testRunner object.

Personally I use (and would recommend) Events (option 2) to achieve the single script requirement. For example I have a script that runs before each test case that validates my assertions have content (I have a habit of adding blank assertions and forgetting to complete them :smileyhappy:). These events can be targeted to a limited subset of items, see the linked documentation page for details.

groovyguy
      Champion Level 1

Radford is correct. You can't really expect to interface properly with ReadyAPI functionality without importing their entire library into your external script. 

Radford
        Super Contributor

groovyguy, you shouldn't need to import the entire library.

Reworking the original Class file a bit (I've made the getServiceAvailabilityResult method static for ease of calling, but I understand that this is just a cut down example so this may not be possible with the actual script):

static String getServiceAvailabilityResult(testRunner, String result) {

def serviceAvailabilityResult = ''

if(result == "yes") {
        		}else if(result == "no"){
        			serviceAvailabilityResult = 'SERVICE IS NOT AVAILABLE'
        			testRunner.fail(serviceAvailabilityResult)
        		}else{
        			serviceAvailabilityResult = 'Unrecognised input result parameter value "' + result + '"'
        		}

return serviceAvailabilityResult
        	}
        }

I could then call this from a test case setup script, like so:

import library.serviceAvailabilityResult.ServiceAvailabilityResult

// The variable inputString must be 'yes' or 'no'
        def inputString = 'no'
        def returnString = ServiceAvailabilityResult.getServiceAvailabilityResult(testRunner, inputString)

log.info('ServiceAvailabilityResult.getServiceAvailabilityResult = ' + returnString)

with the test case being failed as expected.

jkrier, if your requirement for having an external script was to just have one script to maintain I would still recomend that you investigate Ready APIs Event functionality.