Forum Discussion

rnij
Occasional Contributor
4 years ago
Solved

How can I trigger ready api tests from specflow?

I would like to use spec flow to trigger ready api test suite. How can I do that?
  • Hey rnij,

Ive never used specflow for readyapi/soapui, ive used it with Intellji and RESTSharp (.Net c#)

Apologies but id forgotten that specflow was for .net framework. Readyapi/Soapui uses java/groovy/javascript and id suggest youre going to have issues plumbing it all together.

There are web resources that describe plugging soapui into IDEs with Java, but ive never seen any mention of getting it working with .net

If you ignore the specflow concept for now and research just plugging readyapi/soapui into an IDE that'd be a start, but youre still going to need to know what other tools you have available at your place...how do you intend to setup the readyapi/soapui automation? using maven? Gradle? jenkins? Octopus? Docker? Cloud?, but even then i think youre going to have problems with the .net

Where did the idea of writing tests/code using specflow/.net to plug into readyapi come from? Did anyone consider that its NOT java?

Thats all i can help you with this im afraid, perhaps other forum members will be able to help, but id be interested to know if you get it sorted cos i havent seen it setup before (and i always welcome getting educated!)

Ta

Rich

3 Replies

richie
    Community Hero
    Hey rnij,

Can you rephrase what you mean by "use specflow to trigger api test suites"?

Im wondering whether youre starting from scratch or if you have feature files already describing your bdds, or whether youve just got tests setup in readyapi representing a bdd approach?
    One of the issues representing bdds in readyapi! or soapui is that the assertions are on the executable test steps (e.g. REST or SOAP or JDBC, etc.) in the tool resulting in the WHEN and THEN being on the same executable test step and bdds require you to separate out tge executable step from the assertion (the THEN).

The following link describes how to represent bdds in readyapi!/soapui.

https://smartbear.com/blog/click-using-gherkin-with-soapui/

Ta

Rich
      rnij
      Occasional Contributor
      I have my test suite for each feature created in ready api. I just got to know that I have to use spec flow to run the tests so wanted to see if there is a way I can call or trigger these tests from specflow
        richie
        Community Hero
        Hey rnij,

Ive never used specflow for readyapi/soapui, ive used it with Intellji and RESTSharp (.Net c#)

Apologies but id forgotten that specflow was for .net framework. Readyapi/Soapui uses java/groovy/javascript and id suggest youre going to have issues plumbing it all together.

There are web resources that describe plugging soapui into IDEs with Java, but ive never seen any mention of getting it working with .net

If you ignore the specflow concept for now and research just plugging readyapi/soapui into an IDE that'd be a start, but youre still going to need to know what other tools you have available at your place...how do you intend to setup the readyapi/soapui automation? using maven? Gradle? jenkins? Octopus? Docker? Cloud?, but even then i think youre going to have problems with the .net

Where did the idea of writing tests/code using specflow/.net to plug into readyapi come from? Did anyone consider that its NOT java?

Thats all i can help you with this im afraid, perhaps other forum members will be able to help, but id be interested to know if you get it sorted cos i havent seen it setup before (and i always welcome getting educated!)

Ta

Rich