Forum Discussion

dratliff
Occasional Contributor
3 years ago
Solved

HTTP Request for PeopleSoft

Hello Everyone,

I am trying to create a test using ReadyAPI 2.8.0 to send a HTTP Request to a HttpListeningConnector in Peoplesoft.  I have tried to follow what was provided by PeopleSoft and also looking at the Soap UI documentation.  I cannot get a response other than the generic 200 that states there is a Integration Gateway failed response.  I have been able to get a 400 from the IG using Postman, which is something different but not what I want.  I would like to know if anyone has any experience using Soap UI to send a HTTP Request and/or connecting to a PeopleSoft HttpListeningConnector.

Thank you,

Dave

• Hello Rich,

What a wild ride.  I figured it out, still more work to do, but the initial test has been successful.

There are 2 portions of it.  In soap UI, the request can be formulated externally in some type of editor and then cut-n-pasted into the pane below the parameters.  Sometimes that pane has to be expanded.  That allowed for the message tests I had to be placed inside.  After talking with our developers for the PeopleSoft implementation, I realized the destination node was wrong.  I changed that, added an XML payload in the data section and was able to get a success.  

Payload Data

The trick with the payload was to use the XML but it had to have the field definitions preceding the actual data payload.  Once I started working with it, it become much easier.  

I also wrote some C# code to also test this.  I still have a small component to finish but the initial testing works as expected.

Thank you for you help and I hope I wrote enough here to help someone else that might be struggling with this problem.  

Key takeaways:  Check syntax of To:/From: and provide field definitions before the field data.

Cheers!

Dave

6 Replies

richie
    Community Hero
    Hi dratliff,

Im a little confused by your description so bare with me.

Are you saying you are getting a 200 response but as a failure? This is confusing. 2xx series http response codes indicate success. Can you confirm the #status# header value on your request as this will help clarify?

You mention you get a 400 using Postman for the equivalent request. An http 400 response code typically means either a malformed or schema invalid request (so the payload you're passing is wrong in some way).

If you mean that youre getting the right response in postman but not in readyapi! then you need to look at the full RAW details of both the postman request and the readyapi! request. If you compare the two, you will see differences (likely its the http headers that are the problem). If you fix the differences so that your readyapi request has the same full RAW details (including the headers), this will result in you getting the same results in both apps.

Btw. There are a couple of default postman specific headers that are stupidly/automatically added into a postman request. You dont need those ones in your readapi request.

Hope ive been clear above!

Cheers

Rich
      dratliff
      Occasional Contributor

Hello Rich,

Thank you for the response.  Yes, it is extremely strange but a 2xx status is provided regardless by the HttpListeningConnector in PeopleSoft.  

I guess what I need is a specific way to create the header and body content for the message.  Or if anyone in this group has had the same problem with trying to communicate with PeopleSoft using the HTTP Request.  I am going through the code from a consultant that wrote the initial interface and it is fairly straightforward but in order to demonstrate and document the process I'd really like to use Soap UI.  

Any insight is greatly appreciated.  

Thank you,

Dave.

richie
        Community Hero
        dratliff

Hey Dave, yep describing exactly what you need to do is pretty straight forward, but im gonna need some details.

Can you submit the request in Postman and provide the full RAW details of the request please?

When i say the full RAW details i mean the full URL, the method, the payload, the authentication type (but dont provide the actual username or password) and especially the headers parameters please?

If you provide these details then we'll be able to give you specific instructions to create what you need in readyapi!/soapui

Cheers,

Rich