Forum Discussion

tclotworthy
Contributor
9 years ago

GUI Freezes While Running TestSuite

Hi,

I have SoapUi NG running as part of ReadyAPI 1.6.0. I have test suites that run 30 parallel test case runs with many thousands of requests and responses that cause the GUI to freeze early in the test suite's execution. Although there are lots of requests/responses, the quantity of data exchanged in each is always very small. All test cases run to completion with successful results (I can examine the data captured to the database and all is perfect).

ReadyAPI runs on a Windows PC with the following characteristics:

Windows 10 Pro

Intel i5-2500K CPU @ 3.3GHz

32 GB RAM

64-bit OS, x64 processor

I have performed all the performance improvement reccomendations from this link, with no noticable change in the results. It is worth noting that when I made the memory adjustments for the -Xmx parameter in the .vmoptions file, I could not increase the value much  passed 1K. If I did, ReadAPI either would not open or the I would get "out of memory" errors during the execution of the test suite. This in spite of the fact that I have 32GB of RAM on the box and the fact that it is a 64-bit OS.

Also, there is virtually nothing else running on this box. The test cases are calling web services running on a separate physical machine. 

Finally, its worth mentioning that the GUI always ultimately unfreezes about 5 minutes after the test suite finishes execution.

I would be grateful for some advice as to what can be done, if anything. If this is just a limitation of the tool (i.e., my test suite is pushing the capabilities of SoapUI) then that would be useful to know so that I don't continue wasting my time trying to fix it.

thank you

2 Replies

nmrao
    Champion Level 3
    May be this does not help your question directly. However, do you consider running the tests on command line using testrunner script? So, you may avoid this situation.

Basically, UI can be mostly used for designing your tests.

Also, running 30 parallel tests may not good idea, in my opinion. May be you can limit it using vmoptions, please check.
      tclotworthy
      Contributor

THanks Rao, this was useful. I probably was expectly too much of the GUI for so many parallel tests. I will know better to use it primarily for setting up my functional tests and executing less demanding ones!

nmrao wrote:
      May be this does not help your question directly. However, do you consider running the tests on command line using testrunner script? So, you may avoid this situation.

Basically, UI can be mostly used for designing your tests.

Also, running 30 parallel tests may not good idea, in my opinion. May be you can limit it using vmoptions, please check.