Forum Discussion

gilugopi
Contributor
8 years ago

Floating License Management on dynamically spawned virutal machines in could

Hi,

I have to execute Ready Api scripts on Jenkins Slaves which are instantiated on a need to basis on Amazon cloud. When test job need to run, a Jenkins slave virtual machine is instantiated on the cloud and this could be a brand new virutal machine without Ready API or license. After execution of job the machine is killed. Hence fetching license floating license at run time and releasing it back to the license server at the end of the job is important.

Hence I'm planning to let Maven take care of  downloading ready api and running tests as described on page http://readyapi.smartbear.com/features/integration/maven/working#_ga=1.89603487.549446738.1436977194

But my question is on floating license

1. Is there a way I can specify the floating license server details in the POM.xml to check out a license at runtime?

If Yes, please specify an example

If No, please let me know of any alternate way to checkout license at runtime before running tests.

2. Once the jenkins job finishes the jenkins slave on the cloud is killed as well. In that am I right in assuming that the floating license already installed in Step 1 will not anylonger be blocked for that Slave in cloud? Is there any specific step user need to do to ensure that license is released back to the server at the end of job?

3. This is more of a generic question on Floating license. Let's imagine I have 10 floating licenses. Can I run checkout license on 100 different machines and will it all work as far as I'm running test only on a maximum of 10 machines concurrently

Thanks in advance for your help

Regards,

Gilu Gopi

3 Replies

gilugopi
      Contributor

Thank you, the link you provided answers some parts of my question. Here is what's still open.

1.  How to check out soap ui license at run time when running via Maven plugin on Jenkins? In the documentation provided there is no mention of providing license server ip/ hostname in POM.xml. 

Probably I can use license manager in a linux shell to activate the license. 

2. Accoding to the floating license documentation, license is release back to the server when Ready API is closed. In case of batch execution, I guess that means when testrunner.bat/sh finishes execution. But what happens if the client is shutdown or lose network connection to server during the middle of execution? Will the license get automatically released after a certain time of inactivity or will it remain locked to the client. In a cloud enviornment, if client is killed we can get hold of the same client again to release conneciton.

Please help get answers for this too.

Thanks,

Gilu