Forum Discussion

mgroen2
Super Contributor
7 years ago

Is it possible to capture a string in a variable and see its value after runtime?

Use case:

the application I need to test has a version number. This version number is sent as a response. 

I can store in a local (temp) variable, @v1 .

But I want to store the value (2.0.17249.5) in a "permanent variable", so I can it's value after runtime.

Is this possible in LoadComplete? And, if so, how?

4 Replies

AlexKaras
    Champion Level 3

Hi Mathijs,

No, this is not possible (as to my knowledge). (Unless you log the content of all requests and responses for the test that is very inefficient.)

It is my understanding that if ask for persistent variables, then this must be combined with the request for custom report headers as this is the only place where such persistent variables are worth to be used as I see it at the moment.

mgroen2
      Super Contributor

AlexKaras wrote:

Hi Mathijs,

No, this is not possible (as to my knowledge). (Unless you log the content of all requests and responses for the test that is very inefficient.)

It is my understanding that if ask for persistent variables, then this must be combined with the request for custom report headers as this is the only place where such persistent variables are worth to be used as I see it at the moment.

Hi AlexKaras,

what do you mean with the request for custom headers? What's it about?

AlexKaras
        Champion Level 3

Hi Mathijs,

> what do you mean with the request for custom headers? What's it about?

This request does not exist yet. :) It was just my assumption that if you are going to ask for persistent variables, than possibility to create custom report headers should be asked as well. :) I don't see any other good application for persistent variables in LoadComplete but will appreciate your scenario where you see some other area where such variables can be used as well.