Forum Discussion

td920
New Contributor
8 years ago
Solved

why do i have to reset my password each time I visit the SmartBear forum?

Why must I reset my password each time I visit the SmartBear forum.  I can reset it each time to get back in but the minute I log out, I must again request a password reset.

Using the URL supplied in the password reset email:  https://community.smartbear.com/

Troy

td920

• Thanks PaulMEdwards!

You got me thinking about LastPass.  While my ultimate issue was different than yours it was related to LastPass.  For my saved site I had the URL pointed to https://community.smartbear.com/.  Because I also have a seperate AlertSite login I should have saved the URL for the forum to the login screeen URL instead.  Once I updated the site URL to the login page it works fine now.

Thank you,

Troy

9 Replies

td920
    New Contributor

Thanks PaulMEdwards!

You got me thinking about LastPass.  While my ultimate issue was different than yours it was related to LastPass.  For my saved site I had the URL pointed to https://community.smartbear.com/.  Because I also have a seperate AlertSite login I should have saved the URL for the forum to the login screeen URL instead.  Once I updated the site URL to the login page it works fine now.

Thank you,

Troy

TanyaYatskovska
      SmartBear Alumni (Retired)

Hi Guys,

Thanks for troubleshooting the issue to find out its cause. I'm glad to hear that the issue is resolved right now.

• Thank you all for your responses here.

I have discovered one more issue and came up with the solution.

The issue: Even after resetting the password via the "forgot password" link, I could not log into the community site.

Solution: Open a brand new browser window in Incognito mode ( Chrome/Firefox), then copy your link from the reset password email into the browser address bar.

Complete the reset flow and now you'll be able to login to the site.

Note: I believe LastPass still has an issue if you try to go through reset password with it. 

PaulMEdwards
    Occasional Contributor

I'm having the same issue in Chrome, Firefox, and IE11... But not in Edge which works fine.

I'd prefer to use Chrome and to not have to reset my password every time.

It seems that there is some hidden field which is not working properly in the browsers exhibiting this issue.

It would be good to have a public explanation and resolution shared here instead of privately to expedite the resolution for other/future users having the same issue.

TanyaYatskovska
      SmartBear Alumni (Retired)

Hi,

We are checking this behavior on our side. Everything works fine on our side so far in different browsers.

Give us some for the deeper investigation.

PaulMEdwards
        Occasional Contributor

I have resolved the issue for myself... The culprit was how I had initially saved the login credentials in LastPass.

Apparently I must have used the option to capture & save ALL field values which included a hidden Captcha response and other fields which may still be used to login, as can be seen in the following screenshot:

I tried deleting all but the minimum required form fields, but that didn't work. What fixed it for me was completely deleting the LastPass entry for the SmartBear community, then logging in using a fresh browser tab and saving the credentials as a new entry. I then confirmed that it continued working in the same and other browser sessions.

The reason Edge was working fine is because it doesn't (yet) officially support LastPass and so the hidden field values weren't being modified by LastPass when the page loaded.

bondo
    New Contributor

my problem is the same but has nothing to do with LastPass.  I manually type in my login info.