FSC
New Contributor
9 years ago
Accepted for Discussion

PDF Filename containing the "version" is not supported?

Hi!

We encourage our employees to add a version to a PDF or DOC file name so it's easier to handle on the local disk, fileserver, webserver or in an email to a customer.

But collaborator can't match a file like "OurManual_V1.0.0.pdf" and "OurManual_V2.0.0.pdf" to be the same.

Easiest might be to add the option in the webinterface "Upload->File" to select an already existing file and state that this is the newer version of it (although the name has changed slightly)

or did I overlook an option in the GUI or the commanline tools?

2 Comments

KJSwartz
    Frequent Visitor

There has been no movement on this topic for four years.  A good approach: allow unique NOTES field entries in the View As: Separate mode, and have a unified NOTES field entry for the Overlay mode.  In the example above:

View As: Overlay selected

OurManual.PDF would be uploaded twice, and the NOTES field would be the unified "<CI> Manual".

View As: Separate selected

The first OurManual.PDF NOTES field could be updated with <CI> Manual V1.0.0

The second OurManual.PDF NOTES field would then be updated with <CI> Manual V2.0.0.

Also - can you allow us to promote/demote files in an overlay group?  I would like to relocate Manual V2.0.0 to be the "reworked" item when I initiate a review.