pbauer
New Contributor
8 years ago
New Idea

Can you add a free form text field to the role assignment section of a review?

I would like to request that a freeform text field be added to the role assignment portion of the review screen that allows you to document the specific role assignment that each person has on the review.  This is different than the moderator, reviewer, author, etc. It is in relation to the role this person has representing a particular effort.  In our case, we have specific work products that require specific program involvement from specific roles like a SW lead, or a Project Engineer, or a Program Manager.  When I identify someone in a review as a reviewer, I want to be able to identify them as the program manager, Project Engineer, etc. We don't want to have a separate template for every work product we review, we want to keep that generic enough to use the same template, but we want to be able to identify who each person is.  We could create a custom field, but we want this to be tied to each review participant directly.  A custom filed would not have that tie. 

I want to be able to show that all of the required reviewers for this particular work product were participants.  Unless I tie them to the actual participants that have time recorded, I can't prove that they were involved.  See below for an example.

Review Role Assignment            Program Role Asssignment

Author                                            System Engineer

Moderator                                      Lead Systems Engineer

Reviewer                                        Quality Assurance

Reviewer                                        Program Manager

Reviewer                                        Test Engineer

I need to be able to show that the relevant stakeholders participated in the review.  A custom field does not tie a program role with the time spent in the review, but if the review role could have a place to identify the program role, it could be on the same line in the review summary screen.

added field.jpg

7 Comments

ssmorgan

You can get the effect of what you want with Participant custom fields.

We have been doing this for quite some time in our templates.

Our Job Function Participant custom field actually comes out nice on the details report as shown below.

Although I agree, it would be nice to have this a default part of the role.

pbauer
    New Contributor

SSMorgan,

Thank you for the tip.  I have a few questions about how you did this. 

1. What were the parameters for setting up the custom field?  Can you give a screenshot of that as well?

2. How did you get it to show up in the participants section?  My other custom fields do not show up there.

Thank you for the great examples.  With some guidance, we will be able to make this work for us as well.

pbauer

ssmorgan

It shows up in the participant section in the details report.

pbauer
    New Contributor

Perfect!  I can work from there to generate what I need.  I appreciate your examples.

MrDubya
    Occasional Contributor

One thing to note is that when using participant custom fields, they are only editable by the individual participants, and not editable by the review creator.  In cases like this where the roles are likely already known by the person setting up the review, it would be nice for the review creator to be able to set the participant roles instead of relying on the participants to go in & enter themselves.  There is a request for this functionality here.