Forum Discussion

mflora
New Contributor
14 years ago

What support for OpenMP does AQtime have?

Hello,

I have started using OpenMP now that my compiler (Microsoft's Visual Studio 2008) has built-in support for it.  What support for OpenMP does AQtime have?

When I use the Performance Profiler in AQtime 6 or now AQtime 7 to measure the elapsed time of routines, it seems to me as if all of the OpenMP threads get combined together.  In the AQtime results, I see a list of threads, however all but one are empty.  The only thread that contains results shows calls to functions containing OpenMP directives and in turn those routines calling a subroutine by the same name, but with '$omp$n' tacked on to the end of the name.  I cannot see what each of the threads created by OpenMP are doing and worse, the elapsed time of each of those threads seems to get added together, thus making the elapsed time for the routine appear to be the same as when OpenMP is disabled.

Thanks,

Matt

7 Replies

• Hi Matt,

AQtime does not provide any special support for OpenMP, actually. We will try to reproduce the behavior you reported and let you know our further results when we have some.

• Hi Matt,

We've failed to reproduce the problem with a sample OpenMP application. Could you please provide us with an application with which the problem can be reproduced?
    mflora
    New Contributor
    Hello,

Unfortunately, my application is over a million lines of code and I would never get permission to send it.  Perhaps you could send me the application you tried and I can get you back the results from my machine.

I have learned (by looking at the assembly code) that VC9 (from Visual Studio 2008) does indeed create a subroutine (whose name has a $omp$x appended) for each of my OpenMP 'parallel for' sections.

Cheers,

Matt
    mflora
    New Contributor
    Thanks,

That sample worked for me too.  However, I managed to modify it enough to show the issues.  I have submitted the code and results on that Support Contact site.

Cheers,

Matt

• Hi Matt,

We've received your sample, thanks. Let's continue working on this via e-mail.