Forum Discussion

MartinB_1
Occasional Contributor
15 years ago

Profiling and comparing performance when sourcecode changes

What is the recommended way to compare performance characteristics of modified sourcecode versions of the same project?

At least the line-timings become useless as soon as I edit the source files!

I'm not sure what's with the timings collected for all the Routines - does the history still work properly after a significant amount of refactoring on the binaries referenced by the AQTime Project?

cheers,

Martin

5 Replies

• Hi Martin,

It depends on the changes you make. Note that you can compare results of different profiling runs as it is described in the "Comparing and Merging Results" help topic.

MartinB_1
    Occasional Contributor
    > It
    depends on the changes you make. Note that you can compare results of
    different profiling runs as it is described in

> the "Comparing and
    Merging Results" help topic.

When I identify a function that does not run sufficiently fast and when I subsequently modify and refactor said function and then make new measurements I would like to compare the new results with the old results. The problem is that the line timings for the old results are no longer available, since the sourcecode has changed in the meantime (a few lines off, calls have been rearranged, etc.).

I guess if I can't make anything of the single line results of the old run, Compare+Merge won't really help me?

cheers,

Martin
  • Hi Martin,

You can perform routine level profiling (see the "Profiling Levels" help topic for more information) and compare results generated for the routines you need. Line level results can be compared too, but you will not see the old source code indeed.

MartinB_1
    Occasional Contributor
    > Line level results can be compared too, but you will not see the old source code indeed.

Are there any plans to improve the line level history? It's also quite annoying when trying to export these resluts?

("Save to sourcefile" doesn't seem to work and the format when printed doesn't look to good.)

Next best thing I could think of would be to be able to select the profiled source lines and just copy the text to the clipboard and the Info columns in from of the source are just separated by tabs or something.

Other good thing would be if AQTime could fully save the source lines that where profiled, so that the info is available in the history.

cheers,

Martin
  • Hi Martin,

The suggestions regarding saving line level results in exported data are already in our DB, and your request has increased their rating. However, we cannot guarantee that the suggestions will be implemented. As for storing the source code history, I've added the suggestion to our DB.