Forum Discussion

jbuckingham
New Contributor
7 years ago

Why does LoadUI run differently when we run it from through a remote desktop over VPN?

Due to network and time considerations we're required to run our 8 hr. load tests on the weekend. We'll setup the test on Friday evening and login via remote desktop over VPN (Cisco) on Saturday to start the test. When we start a test from in the office we typically don't have issues with the tests, but when we run the tests from home (hardware remains at work) we constantly run into issues. Issues encountered by my team include:

• desktop crashes
  • test freezes (with CPU maximized)
  • desktop freezes
  • license renewal screen is brought up in a non-functional state

What could cause this difference in how the tests run? Obviously the streaming of the RDP signal is additional overhead, but I believe that should be negligible. It seems to only be an issue when use remote desktop from Windows machines to Windows desktops at work through a VPN connection.

We would appreciate any ideas/suggestions that would allow us to not have to come into work on our days off.

2 Replies

StevenColon
    SmartBear Alumni (Retired)

Thank you for posting to our Community Forum. 

As you stated, there shouldn't be a difference in the amount of resources ReadyAPI uses. Since I do not know anything about your machine configuration and RDP CPU usage, I cannot speak to the effect of it in total. 

I recommend gathering some CPU usage data to get some concrete numbers on if ReadyAPI is indeed using more resources when you RDP into your computer from home or if there is some extra load occurring that your machine cannot handle. 

Have a great day! 

jbuckingham
      New Contributor

Thanks for your reply. We haven't seen this happen much lately. I think the difference was that we limited the amount of request/responses that we were logging.

I'm still curious why we saw more pc craches when we had ReadyAPI open when we were remotely connected. I suspect this may be one question for which I may never know the answer.