Forum Discussion

han
Contributor
12 years ago
Solved

xPath on text

Having problem using the text of the html element to grep on in an EvaluateXPath.

I have tried the following (and they work in Chrome Developer Tools ):

• //*[text()='Text']

• //*[contains(.,'Text')]

• //*[.='Text']

• //*[text()[contains(.,'Text')]]

How should the xPath be written to work in TC?

• Hi Håkan,

I've reproduced the issue and filed a bug report for the developers to look into. Thanks for bringing this to our attention.

As a workaround, you can use the Page.FindChild, Page.FindAllChildren or Page.NativeWebObject.Find method for the search. For example, instead of the //*[text()='Text'] XPath search, you can use page.FindAllChildren("contentText", "*Text*", 100).

However, if you need a patch for this, please open a support ticket and refer to this thread.

7 Replies

HKosova
    SmartBear Alumni (Retired)
    Hi Håkan,

These expressions should work fine in TestComplete as well.

Could you please clarify which problems you are having? Posting complete script code (or keyword test) and the URL or source code of your web page will help in getting your problem solved. Also, please let me know your TestComplete version (as in Help > About) and your browser version.
    han
    Contributor

function test(){

var page = Sys.Browser("chrome").Page("http://smartbear.com/");

var item = page.EvaluateXPath("//a[text()]");

}

In chrome Developer tools the same xPath returs 141 nodes and in TC 0 (or undefined)
    HKosova

Hi Håkan,

I've reproduced the issue and filed a bug report for the developers to look into. Thanks for bringing this to our attention.

As a workaround, you can use the Page.FindChild, Page.FindAllChildren or Page.NativeWebObject.Find method for the search. For example, instead of the //*[text()='Text'] XPath search, you can use page.FindAllChildren("contentText", "*Text*", 100).

However, if you need a patch for this, please open a support ticket and refer to this thread.

william_roe
      Super Contributor

Has this been fixed or does the workaround still need to be used?

HKosova

Hi william_roe,

This specific bug (XPath text search worked in Internet Explorer but not in Chrome/Firefox) was fixed in TestComplete 9.20 back in 2012.

If you're having problems with XPath, please post a code example, your browser version and TestComplete version, and we'll look into it.