Forum Discussion

john_coldrick
New Contributor
11 years ago
Solved

The Object Does Not Exist: Orders Tutorial

I'm a new user and I'm attempting to follow the Orders tutorial.  I can easily follow the steps and record the test as decribed in the movies and help.

But my tests AWAYS fail during playback.  And they always fail at the File Open dialog.  None of the objects in this dialog (the dialog itself, any scroll bars, or fields) exist acording to TestComplete.  

I have a Windows 7 machine, and all I'm attempting to do is follow the tutorial.

I have also read the help and attempted some name mapping (maybe not that well) but whenever I right-click on the item in the Workspace and select "Highlight on screen", in an attempt to maybe map it, I get an error message stating "Unable to hightligh X object on screen, because it does not exits."  This applies to the dialog and all items within it.

We have version 9.20.2460.7

I also attempted to create a Windows Notepad "Hello" test but TestComplete ALWAYS Fails at the File Save dialog, too.

My tests work well if I avoid any Windows dialogs but that is not a great solution as our software is built using Windows and needs to access these dialogs.

What can I do to make these objects exist in TestComplete?

• See the help topics OpenFile and SaveFile methods

Working With Open File and Save File Dialogs

http://support.smartbear.com/viewarticle/30455/

The OpenFile method is not recorded on Windows 7 and Windows Vista; instead, TestComplete records interactions with the Open File dialog elements. However, you can modify the recorded test and manually replace them with the OpenFile method call.

4 Replies

paul_scroce
    Frequent Contributor

See the help topics OpenFile and SaveFile methods

Working With Open File and Save File Dialogs

http://support.smartbear.com/viewarticle/30455/

The OpenFile method is not recorded on Windows 7 and Windows Vista; instead, TestComplete records interactions with the Open File dialog elements. However, you can modify the recorded test and manually replace them with the OpenFile method call.

TanyaYatskovska
    SmartBear Alumni (Retired)

Hi John,

As an alternative to Paul's suggestion, you can use the MSAA feature to allow TestComplete to get access to the Windows object. For this, you need to add the DirectUIHWND class to the MSAA settings.

• Thank you very much Paul and Tanya for replying to my post.

Since I'm very new to TestComplete, I'm a little reluctant to jump into scripting yet so I attempted Tanya's solution.

I was able to add the DirectUIHWND object to the MSAA list of accepted windows.  I did this both at the default project level and for the current project as well.

I rerecorded my test and it fails at the ComboBox object again stating that the object does not exist..  This ComboBox object appears to be a child of the DirectUIHWND object.

Are there any tutorials available that I can follow that actually work straight out of the box?

Hopefully there are some that don't require any major modifications.  It's been difficult getting my head wrapped around this software when even the most basic of tutorials and exercises always fail, and there is very little explanation as to why.
  • Hello Tanya,

I have received more support from Smartbear Tech Support and they inform me that a newer version will solve some of my issues.

I was unsure how to update but now I know.

Please inform Tech Support that they do not have to contact me as I now understand my upgrade problem.

Thanks again.