Forum Discussion

AutoBot_1
Occasional Contributor
13 years ago

TestComplete Beta 8.7 : Queries/Issues with Google Chrome Support

Hi,

I am glad that TC is supporting Google Chrome as several functional web testing is carried out on this browser.

I have signed-up for the Beta program and trying out things with the Chrome support feature.

Here are a few queries/issues I am facing:

1. When I try to record a script with Chrome browser, it always shows a popup saying "Chrome has not been launch with command-line parameters". Check the attached document containing the snapshots. (Pg1 - Chrome_Issues.zip)

Can you please let me know the appropriate way to handle this issue.

2. I am specifically looking if TC can handle any extensions/plug-ins. I tried a couple of plug-ins (viz. Reload All Tabs) and it does not recognize the objects. 

Is the Chrome support limited to only web-testing ? 

3. Consider a typical scenario - I need to click the Wench icon, Goto Options, Open Personal Stuff and Sign-in to Chrome. This is only 1 kind of scenario, I have several which needs access to other Chrome settings. (Check Pg2 - Chrome_Issues.zip)

Can I manipulate the browser settings by script ? 

4. Chrome has an architecture of several processes running in the background. Now when it comes to Tabbed browsing how to handle it in chrome.

How to handle tabbed browsing scenarios in Chrome ?

5.  How to access DOM of a web-page in Chrome ?

Do let me know if you need more specific inputs for any of the above issues.

4 Replies

tristaanogre
    Esteemed Contributor
    I haven't tried out the 8.7 Beta yet... however, from my understanding, the addition of Chrome support is only as a web browser serving pages, not necessarily explicit support for all the apps and extensions that come along with the Google model.  I could be wrong, but that's my understanding.
    ArtemS
    SmartBear Alumni (Retired)
    Hello,

The production version of TestComplete 8.70 featuring Google Chrome support was officially released. The online help was also updated and now contains information related to specifics of Chrome support.

I'd recommend that you read the Specifics of TestComplete Support for Google Chrome topic as there are certain aspects you should know prior to testing web pages in Google Chrome.

Namely, it gives answers to some of your questions.

1. When I try to record a script with Chrome browser, it always shows a popup saying "Chrome has not been launch with command-line parameters".

In order to avoid recording and playback issues of TestComplete tests, Chrome should be launched with the --disable-hang-monitor command-line switch. See the Disabling Chrome Hang Monitor section in the Preparing Web Browser online topic.

2. I am specifically looking if TC can handle any extensions/plug-ins. I tried a couple of plug-ins (viz. Reload All Tabs) and it does not recognize the objects.

Is the Chrome support limited to only web-testing ?

3. Can I manipulate the browser settings by script ?

TestComplete Chrome support is implemented as a Chrome extension. And Chrome's security model does not allow any extensions to interact with its internal (about:*, chrome:*) pages or other extensions. Therefore, TestComplete can access only the web pages displayed in Chrome, but not other extensions or browser settings pages.  

4. How to handle tabbed browsing scenarios in Chrome ?

Each page opened in a Chrome tab is represented as the Page object among children of the main instance of chrome.exe. See the Google Chrome section of the Access to Web Pages online topic. Actions with the tab controls, like opening a new tab, or closing a tab, in all of the supported browsers are interpreted as mouse actions.

5.  How to access DOM of a web-page in Chrome ?

You need to switch the project's Tree model option to DOM. In this mode, the hierarchy of the respective Page object corresponds to the DOM structure of the web page.

Thank you for your interest in Chrome support.
    AutoBot_1
    Occasional Contributor
    Thanks for the replies. 

Solves my queries, I read the latest available help today morning and your reply confirms those answers :)

I am still exploring more with automated tests on Chrome with TestComplete. 

Will get back if I have any specific queries.