Forum Discussion

13 years ago

Test complete 8 hangs my laptop/ make the desktop blank

Hi,

When i start the recording in test complete 8, some of my processes like explorer, outlook ..etc gets terminated and also my screen becomes blank with only the wallpaper and record window visible. Even my application under test doesnt pops up, its seems to be executed when i play back the recording but is not visible during the recording i.e. i am not able to click on anything except for the record window. On stopping the recording, some of the applications recover but some gets terminated.

Please suggest me the probable cause for the same.

System details are as below:

Regards

Sumeet Gupta

3 Replies

Julia_K
    SmartBear Alumni (Retired)

Hello Sumeet,

Please follow the steps below to help us investigate the problem:

1. Check whether your recording issue occurs if you record tests over any application or only over your tested application.

2. Try disabling all OpenApps plug-ins in TestComplete, except for the one you need to test your application with (to learn how to enable or disable TestComplete plug-ins, please see the Installing Extensions Help topic).

Here is the list of the OpenApps plug-ins:

-  MSAA Open Application

-  UI Automation Support

-  .NET Open Application Support

-  Java Open Application Support

-  Microsoft Visual C++ Open Application Support

-  Silverlight Open Application Support

-  Visual Basic Open Applications

-  Web Testing Plug-in

-  Delphi and C++Builder Open Application Support

-  Java Open Application Support

-  JavaFX Open Application Support

As soon as you disable all the unnecessary plug-ins, try recording a sample test over your tested application. If your recording issue still persists, try disabling the plug-in you left enabled and try recording again.

3.  Also, please specify the following:

Is your tested application added to the applications list in the TestedApps editor in your test project? Does it have the Autorun option enabled? Can you start your tested application manually during the test recording via the Run Tested Application command of the Recording toolbar?

Thanks in advance.

Julia_K
    SmartBear Alumni (Retired)

Hello Alex,

This issue might be caused by the OpenApps plug-ins' conflict. Could you please disable TestComplete's OpenApps plug-ins and try to reproduce the issue? You can follow step 2 of the instruction I posted for Sumeet.

Thank you.