Forum Discussion

ProVI_Bollig
Occasional Contributor
10 months ago
Solved

Test Case failed caused by timeout but shows success in the log

Hello Community,

We set the timeout for each test case to be 5 minutes. We expect the test case to fail and marked as an error when the duration is longer than the timeout so that we can rerun the test case. The test execution summary correctly shows the test as having failed and timed out. However, it is logged as "success" in the log detail window, and the test case was also not rerun.

What could the reason be for this behavior?

Could anyone help us?

many thanks:)

• Hello rraghvani,

I think I have found the problem.

The difference in results between the summary and the log details is caused by the custom event handler written by us. 

With your help, we noticed that it was not a problem of TestComplete itself!

Thank you so much!

4 Replies

ProVI_Bollig
    Occasional Contributor

Hello rraghvani,

I think I have found the problem.

The difference in results between the summary and the log details is caused by the custom event handler written by us. 

With your help, we noticed that it was not a problem of TestComplete itself!

Thank you so much!

rraghvani
    Champion Level 3

How have you defined the "timeout"?

"The test execution summary correctly shows the test as having failed and timed out" - I only see pass?

Why do you need to timeout for 5 minutes, that seems to be very long?

ProVI_Bollig
      Occasional Contributor

Hi 

Thanks for the reply.

What I posted is the screenshot of the log details window. The timeout is shown by the large Time diff on termination. Here is the screenshot of the execution summary. As said, the test case terminated by timeout is marked as "success" in the details log but as "error" in the summary. The latter is what we expect to see in the details log as well.

The 5 minutes timeout is just a standard for each case in the execution plan so that we know something is stuck and it should be stopped. Some test cases take quite a long time, so we assume it is a safe value.

rraghvani
    Champion Level 3

Test case "Case2" is showing a failure in the Test Execution Summary Report. However, in the Log Details, it's showing as Pass?

I thought it was relating to how the execution plan was structured, but I'm not able to reproduce this issue.