Forum Discussion

wmsbuild
Occasional Contributor
11 years ago

Feature Request: Ability to Collapse Functions in Script Text Editor

It's a really basic feature of any quality text editor. It's annoying without it, not being able to see all the methods in a file at a glance.

Also, If you really prefer getting feedback through these forums I suppose it works, but you really should provide a more clear-cut method of providing anonymous feedback from the front page.

8 Replies

fayrehouse
    Frequent Contributor
    Hi there,

The collapsing of functions is one I asked about recently - and it's a feature that exists :)

In the code editor, right click and select "Outlining -> Hide by Definitions"

Hope this helps!

wmsbuild
    Occasional Contributor
    Also on the text editor. If I undo, I want to see the change undone, not go back to the previous step that has yet to be undone...it can be rather irritating to have to scroll down to see the change. Especially if I'm trying to do Ctrl Z and Ctrl Y to compare two changes....
    wmsbuild
    Occasional Contributor
    Also, on the text editor: If you double click a word and it highlighted other words in the file that matched that word, it would be nice for finding things.
    jose_pita
    Super Contributor
    Use sublime text, it has all those functions you are talking about.
    wmsbuild
    Occasional Contributor
    Jose Sublime isn't linked in with enrionment variables and auto-complete that test-complete has however.
    wmsbuild
    Occasional Contributor
    steve - Ah thanks for pointing that out....it really should show the boxes by default though, rather than having to right click and navigate a context menu to access every time I open a script file.

Edit: It also only appears to apply to methods (ie sub and function) and comments, not for loops or conditional statements or other grouped entities that might reside in a sub or function.

2'nd Edit: It's too bad I can't appear to edit my original post anymore to give it a more accurate title...I'm spoiled by Stack Exchange I guess...
    jose_pita
    Super Contributor
    If you open the folder where you have your scripts in sublime it maps all the functions and gives you code completion of everything, variables and functions, you just have to know wich ones you can use.

Of course it's not ideal, but together with TC works just fine. I prefer to do some editing on sublime and then test it on TC.
    TanyaYatskovska
    SmartBear Alumni (Retired)

Hi Guys,

Several comments:

It also only appears to apply to methods (ie sub and function) and comments, not for loops or conditional statements or other grouped entities that might reside in a sub or function.

We have a corresponding suggestion in our DB - I've increased its rating by this request.

If you double click a word and it highlighted other words in the file that matched that word, it would be nice for finding things.

I have registered this suggestion.

Thanks.