Forum Discussion

jack_1
Occasional Contributor
11 years ago

External exception E06D7363

When testing my web app, I get an external exception, maybe once an hour. It only seems to be occurring on clickitem operations, and not every time they are called. While I cna get around it by using alternate operations (such as Keys("[Down][Down]...) this becomes cumbersome and difficult to maintain, and it would be nice to know why I am getting this exception.

I am running my tests on Chrome 31, Testcomplete 9.31, and Windows 8.

An example of a line on which the Exception occurs:

Call Aliases.browser.pageAddEditEquipment.formAspnetform.panelOacontainer.Panel(1).Panel(0).Panel("CP1_UpdatePanel1").Fieldset(0).Panel(0).Panel(0).Select("CP1_DropDownListEquipmentType").ClickItem(EquipType)

3 Replies

TanyaYatskovska
    SmartBear Alumni (Retired)

Hi Jack,

I would suggest that you try using TestComplete 10 (we have recently released this new product version).

jack_1
    Occasional Contributor
    I have now updated to 10 and have not yet had the external exception affect me (though I can't say that it is definitely fixed, I haven't run many tests yet). I am however getting another error with the clickitem method occasionally.

When using clickitem to find the item "03", I had an error which reported: "The combo box item 3 not found." This does not happen every time I attempt to use te method, but I have now seen it twice in about 10 minutes of using clickitem. It looks like testcomplete was looking for the wrong item ("3" instead of "03"), is this more likely the cause of the issue, or just the format of the error being unclear? The item "03" was definitely in the dropdown every time this was called.

Edit: Just after I posted this, I decided to try the same thing on a dropdown with words instead of numbers in it. On trying to clickitem "Completed", I recieved the error message "The combo box item 4 not found.". "Completed" was item 4 in the dropdown, so it seems to be saying that the item with index 4 can not be found.

How does it know it is item 4?

My guess is that the clickitem method has two parts, first a search to determine which index the item is at, and a second to select that index. The first part seems to be working fine, but the second part is not always working. I also suspect that this is how the external exception I was previously getting is now presenting itself, with an actual error message instead of the external exception message.

TanyaYatskovska
    SmartBear Alumni (Retired)

Hi Jack,

I've tried to reproduce the problem with a simple combo box - everything works fine on my computer (TestComplete 10 + Chrome 32). Is your tested page available on the Internet?