Forum Discussion

vantaku01
Occasional Contributor
2 years ago
Solved

entering random keys

Hi everyone,

I am writing code in delphi, I would like to pick some random string with a length of 6 from the following string( 'ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ1234567890abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz').  could some one will help me to find the solution.

Thank you in advance.

4 Replies

Kitt
    Regular Contributor

I am using javascript, but the logic is the same - you could try to get the length of the string, then obtain a random starting point between 1 and the length of your string (*minus 6, so it won't grab less than 6 characters) and use it in the aqString.SubString method [referenced here]:

function getRandomString() {
      var string = "ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ1234567890abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz";
      var strCount = aqString.GetLength(string); // length of string
      var strMax = strCount - 6; // strCount - 6 >> so it doesn't grab less than 6 characters
      var randoStart = Math.round(Math.random()*(strMax - 1) + 1); // random # between 1 and strMax
      var randoStr = aqString.SubString(string, randoStart, 6)
      Log.Message(randoStr);
      return randoStr;
    }

function test() {
      getRandomString(); // 1 
      getRandomString(); // 2
      getRandomString(); // 3
    }

Output:

vantaku01
    Occasional Contributor

Thank you so much 8Kit and Marsha_R Both the codes worked for me . 

I have worked with 8Kit code I was able to generate the sting from the position of a Random string. It was not able to pick random keys from the given text.

for example: I have the text as : 'ABCDEFGH1234556789'

if random value is 6

then its picking the text from 6th position of the above string upto the given length of 4 as (FGH1).

further more my intention is to generate any random keys from the above text.

for example if selct the length of the string as 4 it should pick any random keys from the given text as:

P324 or 1567 or AHDF

Marsha_R
    Champion Level 3
    I see what you are asking but what difference will that make in your actual test?