Forum Discussion

shilbrandt
Occasional Contributor
15 years ago

Customize type of log message for failing checkpoints

Dear all,

in TC7 I was able to determine which type of message should be posted to the log if a checkpoint compare fails.

It seems, that this parameter isn't available in TC8 anymore.

Is there any possibility to change the type of those log messages for checkpoints used within keyword tests?

Regards,

Stephan

• Hi Stephan,

Which checkpoint are you using? Note that the Check method only provides a simple way of checking the current value, but you can also use other methods, which take additional parameters.
    shilbrandt
    Occasional Contributor
    Hi Alex,

I'm using different checkpoints (regions, parameters, xml) from keyword tests. I agree that I could use different operations when writing new testcases in the future. But there are many testcases recorded in TC7. Changing them all in a way that they use another operation would cost a lot of time. Isn't there a more simple solution for running "old" tests with the same behaviour they had within TC7?

Regards,

Stephan

• Hi Stephan,

I'm not sure I understand you here. Could you please describe the problematic difference between TestComplete 7 and TestComplete 8 in detail? A simple example would be appreciated.

shilbrandt
    Occasional Contributor
    Hi Alex,

you can find two images attached. Both images show the parameter dialog of the same checkpoint. One screenshot was made using TC7, the other one using TC8. As you can see on this pictures, I can't set the parameter "MessageType" in TC8 anymore. Therefore my question is, how to set this parameter for my checkpoint operations used in keyword tests.

Regards,

Stephan

• Hi Stephan,

Thank you for the detailed explanation, I will look into this and let you know my results.

• Hi Stephan,

The problem will be fixed in the next TestComplete 8 update. If you are interested in getting a fix for the current version, please contact us via our Contact Support form.

shilbrandt
    Occasional Contributor
    Hi Allen,

after version 8.10 was released today, I looked for the option in order to set the message type to "Warning" again. Unfortunately I still couldn't find any option for changing it. If there are any steps that need to be perfomerd to activate the option please let me know.

Best regards,

Stephan

• Hi Stephan,

Checkpoint operations no longer allow specifying message type in TestComplete 8. Now, if you want to specify the type, you need to use the Compare Files, Compare Pictures or Compare Properties operations. Here's what you can do:

- Convert your old TestComplete 7 project in TestComplete 8.10 - in this case the operation will be replaced automatically.

or

- Replace the problematic operations with "Compare..." operations manually.

shilbrandt
    Occasional Contributor
    Hi Allen,

both options do not fit our needs at all. Due to the huge number of checkpoints in our project suite a manual conversion would be too time-consuming.

Converting our old TC7 project to TC8.10 would lead to a loss of all changes we made after upgrading from TC7 to version 8.0. Since you held out the prospect of adding the option to the checkpoints again in your post from october 6th, we decided to continue working with TC8 instead of downgrading to version 7 again. Therefore I hope, that we will find a suitable solution together in order to avoid a huge amount of additional migration effort on our site.

Best regards,

Stephan