Forum Discussion

RamateerthP
New Contributor
2 years ago

Creation of the environments files in Testcomplete so that Switching of the environments is achieved

hi Team,

Needed a guidance on creation of the test environments files in Test complete tool,  so that Switching of the multiple environments is achieved and  for the selected environment, respective test data should be picked up and Testsuite execution be performed  and report be generated accordingly.

Lets say,  if I have QA and QB environments, as per switch if I pick as QA env', respective test data should be picked up, execution and reporting should be happened accordingly.

PS: This is for window based application, a framework is  being designed currently.

Thanks

Prashant

8 Replies

RamateerthP
      New Contributor

Hello,

Thanks for your reply.

I would need this for window based application implementations, as I don't find the navigation path to reach the name mapping as well as operational parameters as per links

Any sample codes to invoke that  application as well as tag the same to the respective test data which could be taken for the execution and finally taken for the execution, that would be a great help.

Marsha_R
        Champion Level 3

If you are using separate name mappings, then your tests for each environment will need to be in separate projects. You can't pick and choose a name mapping at runtime. 

If your name mappings are similar enough, then you can use the wildcards as I mentioned earlier and make one name mapping that works for all tests.  

You can use project or project suite variables to store the names and/or paths of your data files and whatever output you want. 

RamateerthP
      New Contributor

hey All,

I would need help on, how do we need to import the test data with respective to the recorded scripts for window based applications? I meant  if it is through excel file or any keyword driven approach which needs to mention the action type, data with respect to the test case, or any OleObject method needs to be used to import the test data for execution with respective to the test case? If it had been implemented by someone already in their project, please share the approach and strategy.  I did updated the recorded script with an approach of object properties identified through test complete, but I got the Javascript error, as type script mismatch, also that was not the right approach either when we have 500 windows applications to automate. Please suggest and guide me on this.

Thanks

rraghvani
    Champion Level 3

Your question should ideally be in a new post. 

Are you writing scripts or using keyword test? Is this a new project or are you modifying an existing project? How small or large is your test data? 

RamateerthP
      New Contributor

Thanks for your reply.

This is a new project, framework development is being developed from scratch,  this is large project, have around 500 TC's to automate, but this is the window based project. I did record couple of test cases and did the object imported for that particular window and had edited the key values as per the object identification. i understand it is a hard coded value, but even that did not work either. So i was looking better approach to import test data with an excel with all kind of header information with respective to the test case and call that within the scripts, it is nothing but keyword itself, but would like to have that approach, if nothing is feasible. 

PS: Also the idea of having the old post here is, on the top, I should be having one environment file which could switch different test environments as per my choice, pick that respective test data and execute the respective test suite accordingly and provide the report. Due to window application, am bit struggling as json will not support, looking for how i need to set the environment file with all dependencies as well.

rraghvani
    Champion Level 3

For simplicity, can you keep you answers simple please, because it seems like there's too much going on, and it's making things more complicated than what they are. Thanks.

You have one application, with different test data and results, that you want to automate?

For example, if you had this application, where you have to enter 50 addresses, filling in the form details for Name, Street, Zip, City and Country. Then it would be ideal to use a spreadsheet as your input data which contains the addresses. You can use data driven testing to populate the addresses.

If you had a calculator application, then it's best to organise your data into different sections i.e. addition, subtraction, multiplication and division. You can use a spreadsheet, that contains your inputs and expected results. However, if you want to just test the four calculations produces the same results, then it's best to use one input for each scenario. 

As we don't know what your application does, it's difficult to suggest something appropriate. Since you are starting from scratch, it's best to start small, and then as you progress, you can make improvements.