Forum Discussion

ghuff2
Contributor
8 years ago
Solved

ADO recordset is closed when being returned from a function

At times I need to check if a record has been inserted into an SQL database. Sometimes I need to wait for the record to be inserted into the database (we sync certain records between two databases, it syncs every 5 minutes). To do that I wrote the following function:

def wait_record_in_db(conn_str, query_str, timeout=300):
  conn = open_db_conn(conn_str) #This function is definitely working.
  results = conn.execute_(query_str)
  while results.EOF and timeout > 0:
    Delay(20000)
    results = conn.execute_(query_str)
    timeout -= 20

return results

Basically it just checks if the query returns any records, and if not waits until it does or the time limit has been reached. This way I can check if the record is in the database every 20 seconds and then return the results, instead of just hard-coding a 5 minute wait.

The problem is that the recordset that this function returns is closed for some reason. When I try to check if the returned recordset has any records in it like this:

results = wait_record_in_db(conn_str, query_str)

if results.EOF:
  Log.Error('No record found')
else:
  Log.Checkpoint('Record found')

I get the following runtime error:

RuntimeError
ADODB.Recordset
Operation is not allowed when the object is closed.

This is the first time I've tried returning a recordset from a function. I have no idea why it would be closing the recordset in that context. If I take the code out of the function and just run it all from my main function it works fine. But obviously I don't want to have to repeat this same code everywhere I need to use it, that's the whole point of having functions in the first place :)

Anyone have any ideas? I can't reopen the returned recordset, just gives me a different runtime error. The underlying connection isn't being closed in my script (I close it at the end of the test run).
  • Hello ghuff2,

The answer is very simple but painful, you just can't. The ADO connection closes automatically when the function ends. 

What I did in order not to rewrite a lot of code:

1 - I wrote a class that called Database;

2 - Database has the methods Close(), Open() and ExecuteQuery() that incapsulates the ADO methods for those actions;

Each time I have to query a database I do the following:

Database.Open();

var rs = Database.ExecuteQuery(sqltext);

//Do something with the recordset

while (!rs.EOF){

//Do something

}

Database.Close();

Another option is to create a complex type using either dotNet or JavaClasses and fill the type with the recordset content and then return your type filled with data. This is a option but it is a bit slow.

Regards,

Leandro de Araújo Souza

2 Replies

• Hello ghuff2,

The answer is very simple but painful, you just can't. The ADO connection closes automatically when the function ends. 

What I did in order not to rewrite a lot of code:

1 - I wrote a class that called Database;

2 - Database has the methods Close(), Open() and ExecuteQuery() that incapsulates the ADO methods for those actions;

Each time I have to query a database I do the following:

Database.Open();

var rs = Database.ExecuteQuery(sqltext);

//Do something with the recordset

while (!rs.EOF){

//Do something

}

Database.Close();

Another option is to create a complex type using either dotNet or JavaClasses and fill the type with the recordset content and then return your type filled with data. This is a option but it is a bit slow.

Regards,

Leandro de Araújo Souza

ghuff2
      Contributor

Ah, that's too bad. Guess things can't be easy all the time.

Thanks for the suggestions, I'll try to do it with a Class as well.