Forum Discussion

EllaVader
Occasional Contributor
10 years ago

building a request field from a static and datagen value

I'm getting up to speed with SoapUI and I have a question on how I can build on of my REST request attributse from a combination of a data generated value, a property transfer and some static text.

Specifically, I want one of my fields for my REST requests to look like this:

"SOAP-MATTER-" + <uniqueID>

the uniqueID was generated from a DataGen step and stored in a property called uniqueID

I am stuck how to get my desired request to look like the above concatenated value.

Can anyone help me?

3 Replies

EllaVader
    Occasional Contributor
    I figured out what to do. Not sure if it is the best solution but it is "a" solution.
    What I did was added another DataGen step called "Template" and it looks like this:

SOAP-MATTER-${DataGen#RandomNumber}

and the ${DataGen#RandomNumber} bit is referencing the value that I got from a previous DataGen which is Number type that generates a random number.

And then I added a PropertyTransfer Step that transfers that generated value into a property I named matterID.
    Next for the request, I am using that value referenced like:
    ${Properties#matterID}

Seems to be working. But what I would like to figure out is a way to see what the actual value is when the request actually got sent.
    Does anyone know how I can see what the actual value that was sent in the request is?
    PaulDonny
    Regular Contributor
    If you click on the 'raw' tab on the testStep it will show the values being sent.
    EllaVader
    Occasional Contributor
    Thanks.
    I also found that I can view the Debugging tab at the test level and to view the raw request. But I had to make sure that the content pane of the raw request was expanded.