Forum Discussion

Elvorin
Contributor
13 years ago

[Resolved] Request count is not correct

I'm running a load testing for 120 hours duration. I was watching the request count for each call and it's showing way off. For example -

Requests: 72562
Running: 23
Completed: 72578
Failed: 71878

My understanding is request should always match Running+Completed+Failed.

Oh btw, I'm running it in distributed mode with 3 agents.

7 Replies

SmartBear_Suppo
    SmartBear Alumni (Retired)
    Hi!

Elvorin wrote:
    My understanding is request should always match Running+Completed+Failed.

This assumption is incorrect. I recently improved the documentation on this: [Link]

Regards

Henrik
    SmartBear Software
    anilyadav106
    Occasional Contributor
    Hi,

I ran a 72hrs load .And i have to pass a test case .but i am confused with the results shown by loadui runner.
    As it shows that :Requests :79072675
    Requests running:0
    Requested completed:79072675
    Discarded:70088
    Failed:297

So if 297 requested are failed then why all attempted requests are completed.
    And please all clarify the meaning of "requests discarded" .
    And how to calculate the pass rate.Acc. to these results the pass rate is 100%.but their are also failure.

Thanks,
    Anil Kumar
  • If you read the article at the link above your post, it explains the counts clearly. I was confused too at the beginning to be honest.

To give an explanation to your scenario quickly, discard happens when 'running' and then 'queued' for that runner fills up. For example, lets say your runner has setting of 10 concurrent thread to run, and 100 as queue. Now generator starts generating load, so they go in 'running', if response doesnt come soon enough, then running count will start increasing. When it reaches 10, any subsequent generated request will go to 'queued'. If 'running' goes below 10 (your setting), then requests from 'queued' will go in 'running' state. Now if 'queued' also gets filled up, then any subsequent generated request will get discarded.

So basically,
    Requests = Running + Queued + Completed + Discarded

Failed is just an informational number. Doesn't get counted in that equation (though IMO it should).

But I do agree, from your example it seems the counts are indeed wrong. As per the flow chart (shown in the linked page), discarded shouldn't count towards completed. But it seems it did.

Also I think the flowchart should be updated a bit. Instead of 'Send Request', it should say 'Run Test Case' and instead of 'Response Received or Timed Out', it should say 'Test Case Run Finished or Timed Out'. The reason is, if there's a failure in test case step execution, even then the failure count gets increased.
    anilyadav106
    Occasional Contributor
    After how much time if request does not get response from the server soon enough it will be treated as failed.?
    Or we can set this time anywhere in runner setting.Usually by our single API call testing with soapUI ,i get response after 350ms and sometime 4000ms.But soapUI give call success indication(200 OK) irrespective of response time.

Also,sometime i see that when my system is not connected with the internet,even then request attempted are equal to failed and completed.It should be in failed field not in completed.
    Thanks in advance !!

Thanks
    Anil
    katgat
    Occasional Contributor
    I'm seeing my counters being off too. See snapshot. Running + Completed + Queued is way over Requests.
    SmartBear_Suppo
    anilyadav106 wrote:
    Also,sometime i see that when my system is not connected with the internet,even then request attempted are equal to failed and completed.It should be in failed field not in completed.

katgat wrote:
    I'm seeing my counters being off too. See snapshot. Running + Completed + Queued is way over Requests.

These are both terminology issues. See more in the advanced documentation.
    SmartBear_Suppo
    By the way -- if you have an idea of better names for these 6 counters, please let us know!