Forum Discussion

khurlburt
Occasional Contributor
7 years ago
Solved

Project already exists in the workspace

In SoapUI Pro: I have 2 projects I use in a workspace; they are very similar (but not exactly the same):  Project1 and Project2.  I cannot open both of them without answering a prompt.  Why does this happen?

1.  I created Project1 first.  Then I saved it and removed it from the workspace.  
  2. To create Project2 - I imported Project1, renamed it (from Project1 to Project2 and renamed some of the test cases/steps), and saved it to a different location (on my harddrive).
  3.  Now, whenever Project2 is opened in the workspace - if I try to import or open Project 1, I get a popup saying "This project already exists in the workspace."  I can choose "Import project again" so that I can have both Project1 and Project2 open in the workspace simultaneously. But what is the reason for this?  And can it be avoided?  I thought that renaming the 're-imported' project (and saving it to a different location) would be enough for SoapUI to recognize that Project1 and Project2 are 2 different projects.

• A project is more than the name you give it. If you open the XML project file, you will see it has a "id=" attribute on one of the first lines. This is a UUID that ReadyAPI uses to actually identify the project. 

Since you imported Project 1 and reworked it to be Project 2, as far as ReadyAPI is concerned they are the same project since they likely both have the same UUID in the XML. You can either create a new blank project and copy/move the parts of Project 2 to it, and that'll give you a new UUID for project 2. That way you can have both in the same workspace.

Another option is to manually change/adjust the UUID in Project 2 so it doesn't match Project 1.

2 Replies

groovyguy
    Champion Level 1

A project is more than the name you give it. If you open the XML project file, you will see it has a "id=" attribute on one of the first lines. This is a UUID that ReadyAPI uses to actually identify the project. 

Since you imported Project 1 and reworked it to be Project 2, as far as ReadyAPI is concerned they are the same project since they likely both have the same UUID in the XML. You can either create a new blank project and copy/move the parts of Project 2 to it, and that'll give you a new UUID for project 2. That way you can have both in the same workspace.

Another option is to manually change/adjust the UUID in Project 2 so it doesn't match Project 1.