Forum Discussion

LennSar
Contributor
3 years ago
Solved

does NOT equal assertion

Hi there,   I need a not equal assertion to make sure a parameter has changes. Unfortunately I cannot find such a thing? Is there any assertion I could use to check a response to be not equal with ...
    richie
    3 years ago

Hey LennSar 

I actually started using ReadyAPI with the same perspective as you did - i.e. we needed a tool that didnt require dev experience.  for the most part this is true - relatively speaking when comparing with the other tools out there - ReadyAPI is one of the best I feel for the license cost.  The advantage of the tie in with groovy/java is that it allows you to extend the existing embedded functionality just in case it doesnt do exactly what you need.  Even if ReadyAPI included a not exists assertion - sooner or later you'd come across another scenario which would require a little groovy/java.

Anyway - yep I can stick the groovy together for you - I should highlight that I only know any due to me being taught by people like nmrao and ChrisAdams on this site.

I was just wondering 2 things - so the Content-Type header says the response is json, but the payload coming back isn't in fact wellformed json at all.....it's just a single value?

I know you screengrabbed the RAW tab - I'm intrigued by what's being displayed in the Outline or JSON tab?  If the content isn't being recognised as json - than we might have to cheat a little to extract the value (I'll get onto that later depending on your response).  Can you confirm what's being displayed in the JSON tab AND the Outline tab on the Response please?

2nd thing I wanted to highlight - the 'Smart Assertion' function DOES have a 'not equals' assertion - (I'd forgotten about the Smart Assertion function cos I've only ever used it once) perhaps this could help? 😉 (although I'm wondering if it'll work with a malformed payload.....)

Cheers,

Rich