Forum Discussion

divakar_alle12
New Contributor
12 years ago

Importing Multiple Test Steps

Explanation :

I have imported testcases from .csv file successfully.How can we import multiple steps and multiple expected results in one test case through importing csv file.

5 Replies

Swoop
    Frequent Contributor
    When I import test cases with multiple steps, I need to include one row for each test step. 

All of the rows for a single test case must contain exactly the same information, with the only exception being the Test Step # with a column heading of "Step_Seq"  and the Test Step Description with a column heading of "Step_Step".

It is very important to ensure values in all other columns are exactly the same.  Even an extra space will cause the import to create multiple test cases for the same test case.
    bill_christense_1
    Occasional Contributor
    I'm trying to import into QAComplete as described above, but I'm getting separate tests for each step.

Here's a sample couple of lines:

Id,Folder Name,Folder Id,Title,Status,Priority,Assigned To,Avg Run Time,Date Last Run,Last Run Status,Last Run Test Set,Last Run Config,Last Run By,Last Run Release,Description,Owner,Is Active?,Version,Execution Type,Test Type,Latest Notes,Date Created,Date Updated,Updated By,Import Id,Original Id,Is Tokenized?,Token File Title,Test Tokens,Iteration Count,Nbr Escalations,Date Last Escalated,Last Escalation Rule,Step_Seq,Step_Critical,Step_Steps,Step_Expected Result

"757385","","","Check conversation elements","New","2-Medium","","0:00:00","","","","","","","Check to see that all screen elements are included","Christensen Bill","Y","2","Manual","","","2/4/13 15:15","2/4/13 15:15","Christensen Bill","0","0","N","","","0","","","","1","N","first line left","Unique conversation number displays"

"757385","","","Check conversation elements","New","2-Medium","","0:00:00","","","","","","","Check to see that all screen elements are included","Christensen Bill","Y","2","Manual","","","2/4/13 15:15","2/4/13 15:15","Christensen Bill","0","0","N","","","0","","","","2","N","first line right","snooze button displays"

What am I missing?

Thanks!
    kwiegandt
    Occasional Contributor
    Search in the documentation for "default import profile".  This tells the system whether each row equals one TEST or each row equals one test STEP. 
    bill_christense_1
    Occasional Contributor
    Hi Kathy,

Thanks for the feedback, but I'm still not able to do an import of a test with multiple steps/multiple results. 

I'm attaching a .csv test file.  Would you (or someone) have a look at it and tell me what I've got wrong?  There's two rows:  the header and one test.  The test has 17 steps and 17 expected results. 

When I import this, all the steps are jammed into one. 

When I import with separate rows per step, I get 17 tests. 
    bill_christense_1
    Occasional Contributor
    Figured out the problem.

Linefeeds were not CRLF (windows type).  I'm working on a Mac, which uses CR linefeeds.  Fortunately both Excel and my text editor (BBEdit) have the ability to set linefeeds to either. 

From what I can tell this detail is not included in any of the documentation.  You might want to do so to save frustration for tuture users.