Forum Discussion

mgroen
Frequent Contributor
13 years ago

Automated running of TestComplete scripts by QAComplete

Hi,

I have created test automation runs in QAComplete, and I have TestComplete running on my PC.

When the scheduled time for execution is detected, I see TC becoming active, but I do not actually "see" the tests running.

When I check the testlog in QAComplete, I see the test is runned succesfully.

Is this normal? I would have expected to start TC start the tests and be able to follow the actions on screen.

5 Replies

jmollitor_1
    Occasional Contributor
    Hello Mathijs,

Yes, it sounds like everything is working correctly, if you see the Automation Logs in QAComplete once your TestComplete run is completed.  You will not see anything in QAComplete during the time that your test is being run.  If you are watching TestComplete, and it is running an application on the same PC, then you may see that, but that is independent of QAComplete.  Let us know if that does not answer your question.

mgroen
    Frequent Contributor

Hello Mathijs,

Yes, it sounds like everything is working correctly, if you see the Automation Logs in QAComplete once your TestComplete run is completed.  You will not see anything in QAComplete during the time that your test is being run.  If you are watching TestComplete, and it is running an application on the same PC, then you may see that, but that is independent of QAComplete.  Let us know if that does not answer your question.

Hi, thanks for your answer. I have retested it, and indeed I can see TC start up on my machine, and I can follow the test in real time.

Thanks.

• Hi,

I managed as well to view the automated tests while running in TestComplete 10.20 (launched byQAComplete). They were run succesfully.

However, I cannot see the test results in QAComplete right after that?

Under Test Management -> Automation, there is no automation run results displayed.

Clicking on the Automation Scheduler, the status of my automation schedule is still "launched"

What am I missing in my configuration here?

How should be me the project I run in TestComplete?

In TC, under Automation Bridge registration, I checked the Use remote data.

Also, I read from the userguide_tc.pdf (http://www.softwareplanner.com/usersguide_tc.pdf)

Running a keyword test or script-based test directly (i.e., without running it from a test item), will not log the results to SoftwarePlanner. This is by design, so that you can run your scripts for validation while building them, and the ‘testing your test’ results do not get posted.

What does this mean here? is that related to my problem?

Let me know what I should provide as information for you to help me out.

Thank you in advance.

Thomas brossamain

• Hello,

I'm the Product Owner for TestComplete and QAC. I was wondering how the integration functionality, the TC & QAC Bridge, is working for you?

Is it what you have expected? I would love to hear your feedback on this.

Thank you !

Masha Kozinets

Product Owner, QAC and TC

SmartBear Software
  • Hi Masha,

Thank you for your concern, I appreciate. 

Not sure if you meant about my last reply, but I can still reply to you (althought I do not work with Mathijs) and share my thoughts.

In general I am very satisfy of TestComplete/TestExecute. With QAComplete, I am not entirely satisfy since I have not been able to use the automation features fully. Probably due to their limits and time. I feel QAComplete is still more dedicated to manual testing than automated testing.

Regarding my project, it is now delivered with a full setup TestComplete, TestExecute, Automated Testing Bridge complete setup and QAComplete configured to retrieve the test results from the test runs (with the old legacy feature)

I d like to focus on QAComplete now.

The new functionalities regarding test automation (Under Test Library, Automations tab with Test Schedules, Hosts) in QAComplete do not satisfy me. I lke the intention to separate schedules and host, but this is cumbersome to use compare to the old legacy features.

Correct me if I am wrong, you need to import "manually" ZIP file of the project suite (pjs/mds files) for each test you want to run according to the Test Schedules you setup. Therefore when any test change in your test suite you need to upload a new ZIP file.

How do you manage the changes of your project suite without needing packaging every time your project suite.

In the help document (page 163 in PDF file of QAComplete) stands "Pack your TestComplete test projects or project suites to a .zip archive. You can store the TestComplete projects on a shared network folder or website. You can also upload the files directly to your Tests in the Test Library."

Does this mean I don t need to zip my project suite? This might be the solution.

Also the old legacy features (Under Test management --> Automation) where it was possible to "Start Now" the test suites was useful, because you were able to verify at any time whether the bridge btw QA and TC was working (without waiting for the scheduled time you set up). The new features do not allow this anymore.

My wish would be that the Test agent/Automated Bridge Testing could synch between TestComplete project suites located on a shared folder and populate automatically the Test library in QAComplete. Then we could choose the test suite/project suite to run from QAComplete ( and not prepare your test suite in advance in TC) and gets the related test results under Test Management -> automation. The integration btw TC and QAComplete is not finished and new features/updates might come. You probably know.

Regarding the displayed test results, the defined numbers of nbr tests/passed/failed are unclear (still under Test Management -> automation). I am not able to understand what they represent after executing the test runs. In TC, the test logs display 1 pass for 1 test case. While in QAComplete, it says 10 passed for 10 tests whereas I ran only 1 test case. I could not find today an answer to a post I sent in another topic (http://smartbear.com/forums/f68/t91862/differences-between-number-of-tests-executed-by/)

I wish to be able to use QAComplete more, but I am not working anymore in the project. And my guess is that with time, this project will increase with new test cases. And the management of the test automation with QAComplete might not be easy. The new features introduce in some ways new ways of working with QAComplete that needs to be learned. I am not enough experienced with the QAComplete and the Automation features to conclude whether this is good or not. But I am confident it is getting there.

Another discussion would be how to execute a single test case which has parameters from QAComplete instead of specify a whole pre-configured project suite with only one test case included.

Voila! 

This was maybe a long feedback and lessons learned from this project. but I think working with the Smartbear products was very interesting and enriching. I d like to continue in the future. Dont hesitate to contact me if needed ;-)