Forum Discussion

nradov
New Contributor
9 years ago

XInclude to reduce size of SoapUI XML project files?

We're using SoapUI Pro to automate web service testing. Due to the quantity and complexity of test cases we have many SoapUI XML project files which are larger than 10 MB. All of those files are checked in to our source code repository so this is hurting performance and making it hard for developers to switch back and forth between branches.

Is there a good way to reduce SoapUI XML project file size by factoring out common elements into separate shared files? I was thinking of using XInclude but I'm not sure whether it's supported. Is there another recommended solution?

3 Replies

nmrao
    Champion Level 3

Is the problem being faced during designing of the test cases or during the execution of the tests?

If the problem is of during the execution phase, then are you running the tests using UI? If yes, then you may consider running the tests command line utility testrunner.bat/sh of SOAPUI_HOME/bin.

Another aspect to look at reducing is that - make the tests modular and use data driven approach. Usually what happens is there might be minimal data changes and tests are being cloned which is one of the reason that contributes huge project size.

Keep only the relevant suites in a project, instead of just keep adding all the suites. If you think some the suites are not really needed to be together, just split them into different project.

If the properties are to be shared when you split the projects, use properties files and remove those properties from the project (mostly I am taking about project properties), that will also reduces the project file size. Whenever you need, just import. Of course, if you are executing tests from testrunner, you can even pass it using System argument without manually importing those properties, soapui dynamically loads them run time.

There can be more, but again context is more important to be more specific.

Hope these helps.

nmrao
      Champion Level 3
      And I am really unaware of Xinclude. So, can't comment.
      nradov
      New Contributor

Thanks but none of that helps. We are using the command line utility. We need some way to factor out redundancies in the XML files.