divergentor
Occasional Contributor
8 years ago

How to rename Project Property and all it usages

Hello, community.

This is my question.

1) I have Project property, e.g. Name.
2) This property is uses in 20 Tests.

I want to rename this property in one place, and this change will be applied to all usages in 20 Tests. I do not want to go through 20 test and change it one by one. Can I do it somehow?

P.S. I use free version.
P.S.S. I know that I can open .xml file and make Replace, but there are a lot of variables/fields with the same name.

Thanks in advance.

• Hi,

I don't believe theres an easy way via the UI to do a global rename of a property.

If it was me, crude as it sounds, I would do what you said and open the project.xml file (having taken a backup of course) in textpad and do a find/replace - it should work fine if you're careful and don't accidentally change anything else.

Regards,

Rupert

3 Replies

rupert_anderson
    Valued Contributor

Hi,

I don't believe theres an easy way via the UI to do a global rename of a property.

If it was me, crude as it sounds, I would do what you said and open the project.xml file (having taken a backup of course) in textpad and do a find/replace - it should work fine if you're careful and don't accidentally change anything else.

Regards,

Rupert

divergentor
    Occasional Contributor

Hi.

I did it by replace, but it can be really tedious if you have big project.

rupert_anderson
      Valued Contributor

Hi,

Yes, it is tedious.

Do you know how you would like the rename functionality to work in an ideal world?

I was trying to think exactly how it would work, but could think of any neat solution. 

Perhaps it could be part of a find text in project/workspace piece of functionality that essentially searches every property of every object in a project.

Regards,

Rup