Forum Discussion

johny2010_1
Contributor
14 years ago

How to profile service dll with QATime ?

Hi, I wanted to profile a web service codes with QATime, but I could not get started.

I want to profile some service codes (written with c# in Visual Studio 2010) bıt I not not decide which module to use.

You know there are 5 modules. I select service module.there is no run paremters for service mode.

When I want to start proflin, it says cannot find service for the blah blah .dll

the dll which I added with Add Module option.

By the way, the services I want to profile uses net.tcp binding not http, and because of this there is no svc file out there. 

We use TFS here and I just took the service project into my laptop, and there is no service running in my laptop, I just recompiled the project in debug mode in my laptop,with necessary compiler options adviced in AQTime online help

What do I need to profile those project dlls ?

Please help.

3 Replies

aqAnt
    SmartBear Alumni (Retired)

Hi Johny,

Profiling web services is similar to profiling other web server applications. Basically, you need to profile a web server's process that hosts your application and, therefore, loads the application's modules. Please see the Profiling Web Server Applications article for details.
  • Jay as far as I understand, service testing is not just same as applicaitons.

I am talking about services using net tcp, if you carefully read my post.

When I select service module, and add some service dll and click play button, ıt says cannot find service for the dll I have showed.

thats it, so what is you advice for this error ?
    aqAnt
    SmartBear Alumni (Retired)

Hi Johny,

It looks like you are trying to profile your modules in Service mode, which can be used for Windows services only. As far as I can see, there is two ways to profile your web service.

If your service is self-hosted (there is an executable module for it, e.g. Service.exe), you can set the service's executable as an active module and profile it along with other modules in Normal mode.

If your service is not self-hosted, you can configure IIS to host it and profile the service as an IIS application. To configure IIS, please see this blog entry.

I hope this helps.