Forum Discussion

BettyO
Occasional Contributor
2 years ago
Solved

Zephyr Scale: Is there a way to do a global find / replace in test cases other than the bulk edit?

I would like to do a keyword search/find and then replace that word with a different word.  The Bulk Edit doesn't seem to get the job done in the same way as I need.  When I tried it on the 'Name' field the other characters around my change got removed.  Perhaps there's a way to avoid that from happening but I didn't find it documented anywhere.

Also, I want to apply the same Find/Replace to the text in my Test Case steps but that doesn't seem to be an option - unless I'm missing that somehow.

*******************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

An update from my users who figured out a work-around to the lack of a global find/replace:

• Export all of the TCs to Excel
  • Conditionally formatted cells to be red where the keyword existed
  • Used the Excel file as a guide for what TCs had the keyword, went back to ZS and accessed each impacted TC:
    • Used Ctrl-F on the page with the TC open and all of the instances of the keyword were highlighted
    • Used Ctrl-V in each instance to replace the keyword
  • As a confirmation at the end, re-exported all of the TCs and used the same conditional format rule to see that none of the keywords were missed
  • I don't think there's a global find/replace feature as yet.  I can think of two ways you might be able to get it done:

1) Use the API to change them by code.  I've not done this before so can't advise about any limitations or gotchas for using this method.

Cloud API  -  or   - Server API

2) Export your current test cases, edit the values, archive your 'old' test cases, then import your 'new' test cases (you can't update test cases with an import).  But if you've already executed some of your tests you probably don't want to archive them as I assume (but you'd need to check) that their associated executions will also be archived/not visible.

4 Replies

MisterB
    Champion Level 3

I don't think there's a global find/replace feature as yet.  I can think of two ways you might be able to get it done:

1) Use the API to change them by code.  I've not done this before so can't advise about any limitations or gotchas for using this method.

Cloud API  -  or   - Server API

2) Export your current test cases, edit the values, archive your 'old' test cases, then import your 'new' test cases (you can't update test cases with an import).  But if you've already executed some of your tests you probably don't want to archive them as I assume (but you'd need to check) that their associated executions will also be archived/not visible.

BettyO
    Occasional Contributor

Thank you for the ideas, MisterB!  I sure hope that SmartBear considers a global find/replace function - particularly for the test steps - as that is a fairly common thing we testers need to do.  In my current situation, an application name needs to change.  Alas...will figure out a way to get it done. 

MisterB
      Champion Level 3

In that case, you might find that one of the existing Test Cycle fields could be useful for this purpose.  As an example, you could use the Test Cycle Environment field.  To do that you would go to Configuration, Environments, and populate with your apps.  You would then go into your Test Cycle(s), go to the Test Cases tab, select all relevant Test Cases and then set/change the Environment to the required app.  That Environment (app) will show in the Test Player when a tester is executing their tests.  Does that help?

BettyO
        Occasional Contributor

Good idea, in general, MisterB.  In this case, the application-under-test is being replaced with a new application and we have a bunch of tests that have been built out with references to the current application name and now need to change to refer to the new application name.  These tests have not been executed yet in ZS so the export-edit-import might work but will need to evaluate if it would be less time to just manually edit.  

I am going to put forth a suggested change for this as it is a function I've definitely had need of doing many times in my career, for various reasons.