Forum Discussion

SergejsCuhrajs
SmartBear Alumni (Retired)
3 years ago

Your Journey to Atlassian Jira Cloud with Zephyr Scale

Greetings community,

Surely by now, most of you are aware of Atlassian’s shift in strategy to become a cloud-first company. This has some important implications to anyone who uses their Server based products, including apps.

TL;DR: Follow these steps to migrate your Zephyr Scale app data using JCMA:

1. Follow Atlassian's guide to setup the JCMA

2. Follow our Cloud migration guide to complete the migration

Key dates per Atlassian’s FAQ page:

• February 2, 2021 – Atlassian customers can no longer purchase or request a quote for new Server licenses.

• February 2, 2022 – you will no longer be able to upgrade or downgrade user tiers for your Server products or apps (with some exceptions)

• February 2, 2023 – Existing customers can no longer purchase Server apps on the Marketplace

• February 2, 2024 – Atlassian stops support for Server products and apps

What does this mean for Zephyr Scale customers?

From my calls with some of you, and what I keep hearing from our support team, is that many of you are already actively exploring your options. While some are choosing to stick with on-prem by moving to Data Center, many of you are making plans to migrate everything to Cloud, including apps. Here at SmartBear, we are committed to facilitating a smooth transition to Cloud for all our customers. This includes brining feature parity between Server and Cloud products, supporting automated migration tools like JCMA, and be compliant with a number of Atlassian Cloud security and reliability programs on the Marketplace (e.g. Cloud Fortified).

What is the recommended migration path to Cloud?

Atlassian’s Jira Cloud Migration Assistant (JCMA) is your primary path to Cloud. It is an application that helps you move projects, users, and groups from Jira Core or Jira Software on Server to Cloud. The automated app migration functionality in JCMA is now in an open beta, which means that all users can migrate their app data over to Cloud.

Are there any feature differences between Jira Server and Cloud versions of Zephyr Scale?

If you want to move to the Cloud version of Zephyr Scale, it’s worth considering feature differences from Server. We’ve created a handy Server/DC vs Cloud comparison matrix where you can review these differences in detail.

Are there any limitations regarding what data I can migrate using JCMA tool?

Yes. Because of feature differences between the Server and Cloud versions of the Zephyr Scale, some data will not be migrated. Please refer to the ‘Limitations’ section of the Cloud Migration Guide.

What if I need any help with the migration?
If you require technical assistance, please check out the Cloud Migration FAQ or raise a ticket with our support team.

Tell us a bit about your Cloud migration journey

I’ll conclude this post with a question to you, our awesome community. What is your plan of action around migrations? Please spend a moment to fill our this short survey to let us know!