Forum Discussion

Huss_shakir
New Contributor
2 years ago

What is the best way to set-up test cases in a linear way

What is the best way to set-up test cases in a linear way. With minimal structure.

7 Replies

MisterB
    Champion Level 3

I find that a difficult question to answer without more information about your use case.  I'm not even sure what you're looking for but I'll take a guess that 'best way' with 'minimal structure' means you want it to be quick and easy.

You can add test cases individually using the interface, but I don't like using this option unless I'm adding the 1 or 2 test cases - it's too time consuming.  I prefer to import using a CSV template.

If this isn't the answer you're looking for please let us have more information 

Huss_shakir
      New Contributor
      Thank you for replying MisterB. We are starting to use Zephyr scale and hence wanted to know at what level should the test cases be grouped.

If the test cases are grouped at product level then what would be the best way to define the folder framework/structure of the folder. Also would need logical reasoning as to why we can use this structure.
        MisterB
        Champion Level 3

Thanks Huss_shakir.

Test cases can be organised differently to Test cycles but I usually make them both the same.  Here's what I find works best for me.  It helps me easily add, locate and maintain test cases, and when I need to add/edit test cases in cycles it's also easier to find them:

Root/Folder/Subfolder

Example when testing software in a UAT phase:

Test stage/business unit/department, e.g.

- UAT/Finance/Operations

- UAT/Finance/Accounts Receivable

- etc.

I've not used Zephyr yet for testing a product in development, but I would organise to at least 3 levels as in the example above, so maybe what I've posted below but you will of course know best.  I recommend 3 levels because if you have lots of test cases it will be easier to find and maintain but if you want to go with fewer folders you could technically achieve a similar structure by using labels or other fields/custom fields, and then use the Filters option in the test case library to find and maintain those test cases.

Product/Version/Feature, or

Product/Feature/Version, or assuming product is a given

Team/Feature/Version

Hope that answers your question

Huss_shakir
    New Contributor
    Thank you for your insights and suggestions. Please advise if we have custom reporting in Zephyr Scale.
      MisterB
      Champion Level 3

Custom reports would be a 'no' strictly speaking because you can't define the report output, but, you can use the custom query filter option which is powerful enough to get the data you want, and, you can see any custom fields in the dataset of the report (if not the report itself) when you export the data.  I believe the SmartBear team are working on the reports section and hope to see some improvements coming in a future release

Huss_shakir
        New Contributor
        Thank you again. Please advise if we have any kind of documents or presentations that can help us to know about Zephyr scale more in detail.