Forum Discussion

Aleksi1
Occasional Contributor
3 years ago
Solved

How to organize best Zephy Scale with multiple projects and a central Testing Team

Hi everyone

We have multiple Products, which are related to each other (SW and HW). Therefore, we have multiple Jira Projects. Every project team has also it's tester who writes Test Cases and is responsible for the Test Automation etc. In order to Tests all the products together, we have a centralized Testing Team, which makes all the System Tests.

What is the best way to organize the Test Management with Zephyr Scale or what possibilities does Zephyr Scale offer for this case?

My idea was

* Make a new Jira Project which contains all the Test Cases from all Jira Projects and link them to the corresponding Jira Projects

* Every Test Plan, Test Cycle will be executed in this Test Project.

* However, there will tests where the System Test Team is not needed. Where should we put this Test Cases (Jira Test Project or the Product Jira Project?

** Is it possible to share or link Test Cases among multiple Jira Projects?

Best

Aleks

• Hi Aleks,

I'm not sure if there's a 'best approach' for this scenario but what's most important to me is reporting to stakeholders and making that as efficient and accurate as possible, so I would go with a centralised Project.  That way, I could report overall testing progress within a single project, and not have to report from multiple Product projects - and I could still also report by Product, by using Test Plans and Test Cycles.  You could also setup your Folder structure to replicate the Product setup you have, and create a Folder specifically for your System Testing team.

Hope that helps.

Best, Andy

4 Replies

MisterB
    Champion Level 3

Hi Aleks,

We had this conversation recently as it happens.  Check out this link! ğŸ™‚

If it doesn't answer your question let me know and I'll have a think on it.

Good luck!

Andy

Aleksi1
      Occasional Contributor

Thank you MisterB. Exactly what I was searching for and it works 🙂

But to extend my question. What are the best practices, if you have an "external Test Team". Should we

* create the Test Cycles and Test Plans in the "Test Project" where all the Test Cases from all Products are

* or should we create Test Cycles and Test Plans within the Product Projects and use the Test Cases from the centralized "Test Project"

The thing is, that this "Test Team" is testing all products. Should we organize it from a centralized Testing Team point of view - so everything related to product testing is in the same project.

Or should the Test Team switch to each Jira Project and execute the Test Plans and Test Cycles in the corresponding product project.

Best 

Aleks

MisterB
        Champion Level 3

Hi Aleks,

I'm not sure if there's a 'best approach' for this scenario but what's most important to me is reporting to stakeholders and making that as efficient and accurate as possible, so I would go with a centralised Project.  That way, I could report overall testing progress within a single project, and not have to report from multiple Product projects - and I could still also report by Product, by using Test Plans and Test Cycles.  You could also setup your Folder structure to replicate the Product setup you have, and create a Folder specifically for your System Testing team.

Hope that helps.

Best, Andy