Forum Discussion

Aleksi1
Occasional Contributor
3 years ago
Solved

Add Build Number to a Test Execution

Hi all

When preparing a Test Cycle, we can define the "Version". This is also applied to all Test Cases.

When executing a Test Case in a Test Execution, it can happen, that we receive a new Build within a Test Cycle. Then I want to start a new Test Execution, with the same Version, but a new Build.

How can I add the Build Number to a Test Execution?

The Build Number should be an Integer Field that can be filled in by the Tester (without predefined numbers). The Testers can add any number they want.

Best

Aleks

• We had this exact requirement as well. We got a workable solution with a custom field on executions.

The one problem we have is that these custom fields cannot be marked mandatory. This means we are reliant on the test engineer remembering to add the build number. Experience is they often forget and then we lose traceability of what was tested on what build number.

3 Replies

julian_palmer
    Occasional Contributor

We had this exact requirement as well. We got a workable solution with a custom field on executions.

The one problem we have is that these custom fields cannot be marked mandatory. This means we are reliant on the test engineer remembering to add the build number. Experience is they often forget and then we lose traceability of what was tested on what build number.

Aleksi1
      Occasional Contributor

Did you add the Build Number/Custom Field to the Test Case or the Test Execution itself?

If I go to "Tests > Configuration > CUSTOM FIELDS"  I can choose where to add the new custom field. And I saw, that I can make it mandatory by checking the checkbox "required".

Best

Aleks

Aleksi1
        Occasional Contributor

Ok, just saw what you already mentioned. The "required" checkbox is only available for custom fields for Test Cases - not for custom fields for Test Executions.

Thank you anyway. I will use the same approach.