tristaanogre
Esteemed Contributor
6 years ago
New Idea

Store user open editor tabs outside of MDS file

The MDS file for a TestComplete project appears to store what tabs are currently open in the editor for the project.  So, if I have the NameMapping for the project open, a script file, and a keyword test, the specifics of what is open appears to get stored in the MDS for that project.  

The problem this presents is that if we are making changes on multiple workstations using a SCC, we are constantly needing to checkin and check out the MDS file as these changes alter the file.  These are not "code" changes that we want to preserve and yet we do still want to source control the MDS for project properties, project level variables, test items, etc.

I would be nice if those parts of the project that are not execution related (such as the open tabs) are kept in a separate file, perhaps user specific for shared workstations.

5 Comments

tristaanogre
    Esteemed Contributor

Yeah, I know about the extender file... but there's something else that seems to be regularly changing with my MDS file that, when I get the file that someone else has checked in, it wants to update mine...  The only thing that seems to be changed are the opened tabs.  Not sure what exactly is going on.  Seemed to me that this was being stored in the MDS as well or something related to it.  I'll do some more investigation...

cunderw
    Community Hero

The MDS file is just an XML file so you could do a diff to see what is changing. 

tristaanogre
    Esteemed Contributor

Yup, I'm on it...  It's odd, though... while i don't see anything in there concerning the opened tabs, if I "undo" my changes to my MDS file and reload the MDS from what the other user put in, the opened tabs are no longer what they used to be.  So, while the extender file is not being tracked in source, something is still changing if we don't do the proper save against the MDS.... still investigating....

cunderw
    Community Hero

Everyone else access the project is on the same Test Complete version I assume? That would definitely cause a difference. I'm super curious as to what you find out though. I've only ever seen a difference with things like variables and test items like you mentioned.