hhowe
Occasional Contributor
7 years ago
Implemented

Allow Find to find text within collapsed code sections

I love the new Automatic Outlining feature. However when a block of code is collapsed, Edit > Find does not find text that matches the search criteria when within a collapsed section. I've only tried the two methods I typically use, which are for the "Current Document or Panel" and for the "Project Suite". Perhaps in Find Options there could be the option to exclude collapsed code sections, but by default I believe it should include them. My workaround is to use Ctrl-Alt-A to ensure everything in my current document is expanded, but if I've collapsed in other panels, I could definitely miss some things.

6 Comments

HKosova
    SmartBear Alumni (Retired)

Hi hhowe,

This option already exists - it's called Search hidden text.

hhowe
    Occasional Contributor

Thank you for the feedback and information. I guess I expected it to reference something about the collapsed sections or outlining, since that's the language used elsewhere regarding this feature. The help page for Outlining is also missing any note of this option (however it is there under the Find dialog help). Regardless, I'm quite happy with the feature and the option, and I also see that it retains this option even through a restart of TestComplete. Thanks for the great addition!

hhowe
    Occasional Contributor

Interesting note...searching the entire project with the "Search hidden text" checked is much faster than with it unchecked. I verified the results were consistent between the two searches, but for some reason, with it checked it noticeably faster.

HKosova

Hi hhowe,

In TestComplete 12.40, we renamed the Search hidden text option to Search in collapsed sections to clarify its purpose. We also updated the Outlining doc to mention this option.

Thanks for your feedback!

TanyaYatskovska
    Status changed:
    New Idea
    to
    Implemented

Implemented in TestComplete 12.40