Forum Discussion

wichers
Occasional Contributor
4 years ago

swagger-core annotations required to specify HTTP requestBody form parameters?

This is related to my other question today: https://community.smartbear.com/t5/Swagger-Open-Source-Tools/How-to-suppress-requestBody-generation-in-OpenAPI-spec-using/m-p/203314#M1192.  I’m trying to now figure out how to use swagger-core annotations to specify requestBody form parameters.  What I want to generate is described here: https://swagger.io/docs/specification/describing-request-body/ in the section “Form Data”. I specifically want to generate the .yaml described in the box under: “In OpenAPI 3.0, form data is modelled using a type: object schema where the object properties represent the form fields:”

Here is my relevant swagger-core annotated code:

@Path("/Test00020")

public class Test00020 extends HttpServlet {

@Override

@POST

@Operation (

summary = "Ask something, get something back.",

requestBody = @RequestBody( description = "Form POST parameters in request body", required = true,

content = @Content( schema = @Schema(implementation = Object.class,

name = "Test00020" ))))

@Consumes(MediaType.APPLICATION_FORM_URLENCODED)

@Produces(MediaType.TEXT_HTML)

public void doPost(HttpServletRequest request, HttpServletResponse response) throws ServletException, IOException { ...

which results in this .yaml:

paths:

/Test00020:

summary: Ask something, get something back.

operationId: doPost

requestBody:

description: Form POST parameters in request body

content:

application/x-www-form-urlencoded:

schema:

type: object.    <-- Good up to here, but properties: block missing (see below)

required: true

responses:

default:

description: default response

content:

text/html: {}

This is pretty close, but it is missing the parameter name and type param properties in the request body schema:

properties:

Test00020:          # <!--- form field name

type: string

I couldn’t find any example of how to actually do this, and my trial and error got me this far. The name = "Test00020" element of the Content Schema is being ignored. Any clue how I fix my annotations to get it to work properly?

1 Reply

• As mentioned in my reply to your other question, swagger-core 2.x reader targets JAX-RS and its implementations: a typical APPLICATION_FORM_URLENCODED endpoint would be implemented e.g. in Jersey like this one processed as this test 

However your approach is almost right (using @RequestBody with @Content and @Schema) but adding schema properties via annotation is not (yet) supported. You have 2 options

1. create a class representing your schema with properties, and use that in the `implementation` field, like:

class Test00020RequestBody {

public String Test00020;

}

@Path("/Test00020")

public class Test00020 extends HttpServlet {

@Override

@POST

@Operation (

summary = "Ask something, get something back.",

requestBody = @RequestBody( description = "Form POST parameters in request body", required = true,

content = @Content( schema = @Schema(implementation =Test00020RequestBody.class))))

@Consumes(MediaType.APPLICATION_FORM_URLENCODED)

@Produces(MediaType.TEXT_HTML)

public void doPost(HttpServletRequest request, HttpServletResponse response) throws ServletException, IOException { ...

or use a filter  to programmatically define exactly what you need