Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Prompt before executing on a specific environment

SOLVED
Highlighted
Contributor

Prompt before executing on a specific environment

I've created a beforeRun event to prevent mistakenly executing a test on my production environment like so:

import javax.swing.JOptionPane;

def env = testRunner.testCase.testSuite.project.activeEnvironment.name

if (env == "Production")
{
	answer = JOptionPane.showInputDialog(null, "Warning, you're about to execute in PRODUCTION. \n\nProceed? \n\nType \"Yes\" to continue or click Cancel to abort.\n\n", "Input", JOptionPane.WARNING_MESSAGE);

if (answer.toLowerCase() != "yes")
	{
	   testRunner.cancel("Production Run aborted due to user input.")
	}
}

The issue is I can get around this easily if I run an individual step as the beforeRun step only looks at the whole test case being run. I've tried doing this at the beforeStep event but then I am prompted for every step... 

Has anyone tried doing something similar? I'm curious if there is a better solution that I'm missing.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Community Hero

Hey @thePanz,

I don't know if this approach would be too much rework for you, but an approach @nmrao suggested to me in regards to environmental config/environment switching might help ensure you don't execute on the wrong environment.

Rao suggested that i create a single properties file for each environment....1 for dev, 1 for test, 1 for pre-prod, 1 for prod, etc.

Essentially before executing any tests, i load in a specific properties file, which loads in all my environmental variables setting them as project level custom properties.....mostly i work in dev and test, but the important point being that because you have to load in the specific file to switch to a different environment and i tend to execute in prod infrequently, this approach helps handle the risk of executing in prod or pre-prod by accident. Its obviously not foolproof, but because i always load in a properties file before each execution (and i tend to execute im dev and test mostly) its part of my process now to pick the correct file so its very unlikely i'll execute my tests in the wrong environment.

Perhaps this approach would help you too? All cred goes to Rao....he suggested this approach and its great for a number of reasons....i use this approach for every new project i work on now.

Cheers,

Rich
if this helped answer the post, could you please mark it as 'solved'? Also if you consider whether the title of your post is relevant? Perhaps if the post is solved, it might make sense to update the Subject header field of the post to something more descriptive? This will help people when searching for problems. Ta

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
Highlighted
Community Hero

This will be hindrance or obstacle to achieve automation.

Regards,
Rao.
Highlighted
Contributor

My concern is that I will run my tests against the wrong environment while I'm developing my tests. I can easily disable this event when we run the whole suite

Highlighted
Community Hero

Hey @thePanz,

I don't know if this approach would be too much rework for you, but an approach @nmrao suggested to me in regards to environmental config/environment switching might help ensure you don't execute on the wrong environment.

Rao suggested that i create a single properties file for each environment....1 for dev, 1 for test, 1 for pre-prod, 1 for prod, etc.

Essentially before executing any tests, i load in a specific properties file, which loads in all my environmental variables setting them as project level custom properties.....mostly i work in dev and test, but the important point being that because you have to load in the specific file to switch to a different environment and i tend to execute in prod infrequently, this approach helps handle the risk of executing in prod or pre-prod by accident. Its obviously not foolproof, but because i always load in a properties file before each execution (and i tend to execute im dev and test mostly) its part of my process now to pick the correct file so its very unlikely i'll execute my tests in the wrong environment.

Perhaps this approach would help you too? All cred goes to Rao....he suggested this approach and its great for a number of reasons....i use this approach for every new project i work on now.

Cheers,

Rich
if this helped answer the post, could you please mark it as 'solved'? Also if you consider whether the title of your post is relevant? Perhaps if the post is solved, it might make sense to update the Subject header field of the post to something more descriptive? This will help people when searching for problems. Ta

View solution in original post

Highlighted
Community Hero

Thank you @richie.

Regards,
Rao.
Highlighted
Community Hero

Another suggestion is that use command line tool testrunner.bat/.sh of READYAPI_HOME/bin directory to execute the tests. Use UI to design the test suites.

This allows you to work on something else while tests are running.

Regards,
Rao.
New Here?
Join us and watch the welcome video:
Announcements
TechCorner Leaderboard
Want a fun and easy way to learn ReadyAPI and show off your skills? Try solving weekly TechCorner challenges and get into the Leaderboard!

Challenge Status

Get a full Raw JMS request

Participate!

Compare an expected JSON value and actual response in Events

Participate!

Fetch value/data from JSON response using Groovy Script

See replies!

Get data from Petstore and add it to Excel sheets

Participate!
Top Kudoed Authors