Forum Discussion

gthiruva
New Contributor
11 years ago

Running TcpMon in SoapUI 5.0

Just getting started with SoapUI 5.0 (on a Mac) and I was trying to launch TcpMon to log the back and forth messaging of SOAP messages. The Apache tcpmon site mentions that it's a deprecated product, but I downloaded the "old, archived" version from http://archive.apache.org/dist/ws/tcpmon/1.0/ and installed it into $HOME/local/java/tcpmon-1.0-bin and put the full path to that directory into the TcpMon preferences path in SoapUI's Preferences->Tools section. But, when I try and run it from within SoapUI using Tools->Launch TcpMon all I see is a log message saying:

Launching tcpmon in directory [/Users/gthiruva/local/java/tcpmon-1.0-bin/build] with arguments [sh -c ./tcpmon.sh]

And nothing happens - no window pops up. But, it does run if I run tcpmon.sh from the command line.

Is there something else that I need to do to fully configure SoapUI to run tcpmon?

1 Reply

gthiruva
    New Contributor
    Figured it out ... Sort of.

SoapUI says it's executing the tcpmon script with the command sh -c ./tcpmon.sh. Out of the zip file, the script is not executable. When run as sh ./tcpmon.sh this wouldn't matter. But then I noticed the -c in the log. So, its forking a shell and asking it to run the script - which requires that it be executable. chmod +x tcpmon.sh and problem solved ... sort of.

There's some other configuration nuances - perhaps due to the fact that my endpoint server is using SSL. So, I gave up on tcpmon and used Charles instead.

Now it works the way I want it to! Charles is awesome!