Forum Discussion

nkasemsan
Occasional Contributor
7 years ago
Solved

jsonpathRetrieve array element in an array from JSON response

Hi All,

I'm trying to retrieve an array element within an array (sample response attached) from a test step in a test case.   Within this response, I want to retrieve an array of Telecoms values where the SystemCode ==phone and then get the first element from this array to use in another step.

I tried doing this with a property transfer step, but the problem is that when I retrieve the array using this JSONpath as the source, it returns an empty array even though I it should return an array of 25 elements. 

$..Telecoms[?(@.SystemCode=="phone")].ValueString

So, I'm trying to do this with Groovy script.  I'm not familiar with Groovy, so I'm cobbling this together based on what I've been reading. I know the syntax isn't correct, but I'm hoping I can get some help to get what I need with this bit of pseudocode:

import groovy.json.JsonSlurper 

//retrieve response from the 'All Matches' test step
def response = context.expand( '${TestStepName#AllMatches}' ).toString()
def slurper = new JsonSlurper()
def json = slurper.parseText(response)

//get an array of values where the Telecoms.SystemCode = 'phone'
def phoneArray = log.info(json.Itemlist.Telecoms[?(@.SystemCode=="phone")].ValueString)

//get the first element from phoneArray
def phoneElement = jsonParse[0]

• The result of JSONPath expression $..Telecoms[?(@.SystemCode=='phone')].ValueString has more than 25 elements because there are different use codes.  Do you want to filter only mobile or home phone numbers?

$..Telecoms[?(@.SystemCode=='phone') && @.UseCode=='mobile')].ValueString

If the use code for the first element doesn't matter then

$..Telecoms[?(@.SystemCode=='phone')][0].ValueString

2 Replies

PaulMS
    Super Contributor

The result of JSONPath expression $..Telecoms[?(@.SystemCode=='phone')].ValueString has more than 25 elements because there are different use codes.  Do you want to filter only mobile or home phone numbers?

$..Telecoms[?(@.SystemCode=='phone') && @.UseCode=='mobile')].ValueString

If the use code for the first element doesn't matter then

$..Telecoms[?(@.SystemCode=='phone')][0].ValueString

nkasemsan
      Occasional Contributor

That was my problem.  I'm now getting the first phone number.  I will eventually need to create a step to filter by phone type so this will be very helpful. Thank you!