Forum Discussion

jzyling
Occasional Contributor
12 years ago

Using parameters in JSON Body in REST HTTP POST method

Hi,

I am trying to create a REST HTTP Request for a POST Method, using JSON data in the body. I am trying to use parameters instead of values in the body. For example:

POST Body:
{
"accountId":${accountID},
"userId":${userID}
}

I named a parameter as accountID with a long-type value like 1380000 of PLAIN style. I also named a parameter as userID with a long-type value like 250000000 of PLAIN style.

But after I submitted the POST request, the data in Raw became
{
"accountId":,
"userId":
}

I am wondering why those values were not taken? How to make it JSON style instead of PLAIN style?

Thanks a lot in advance!

5 Replies

• Partial solution, after more try-and-error

${Properties#id}

works, where Properties is the Step-name. Carefull about the #, in order to reference a step, no leading # has to be used.

I do like SOAP-UIs capabilities, but the usability is kind of...difficult...how about a fresh JavaFX-Frontend ;-)

rupert_anderson
      Valued Contributor

Hi,

Ok, glad you're getting somewhere.

Have been a bit busy, but was going to also suggest that you try just adding a simple context based property and then referencing that e.g.

In a Groovy TestStep preceeding your Resquest TestStep, add a context property like

context["testProp"]="hello1"

Then in the Request TestStep, resoolve this with ${testProp} - this should definately work.

Then other types of property references e.g. from wider scopes like TestCase, TestSuite, Project etc all should work fine, Just a question of getting the scope syntax right. BTW the pro version of SoapUI has a nice little feauture for forming the correct reference for you in a point and click way, not that I have SoapUI pro anymore! The open-source version takes a bit more practice.

The property expansion / scripting part of SoapUI is one of its best features in my opinion, but the syntax can take a little practice though as you say! :-)

Glad you got something working anyway,

Cheers,

Rupert

• I've currently having the same propblem. After reading the documentation over and over again and trying all kinds of Property-Expansions the value is always empty.

Using SoapUI 5.2.0

rupert_anderson
      Valued Contributor

Hi,

I think what was not clear from the orignal post is exactly what scope of parameters he/you are intending to use?

What I mean by that is, the syntax for referencing the properties in the original post used the default scope e.g. ${accountID}, this is correct if the properties were added to the TestCase context variable as properties, or failing that, if the properties were added as Global or System properties (see http://www.soapui.org/scripting---properties/property-expansion.html) - does this make sense?

So where or on what type of object have you set the properties that you need to reference e.g. TestCase, Project, context level etc?

Cheers,

Rupert

• Thanks for the reply, I've already read the mentioned link. Let me clarify what I intended to do

Since TestSuites use the Requests I added to the project I wanted to use a method-level parameter for the resource-request. My hope was that I can set some default options which I can also select with an expression. This is what the screenshot shows.

SoapUI_5.2.0_Method-Parameter.jpg

Since this didnt work I tried using a actual value in the parameter-value without success.

So I skipped the idea of a "generic" request and wanted to access the TestCase property which is defined as id and gets its value via a property-transfer

SoapUI_5.2.0-TestCase-Properties.jpg

According to the documentation I tried a property-expansion in various ways:

"ticketId" : "${#TestCase#id}"

"ticketId" : "${#Properties#id}" // mentioned in some forum

"ticketId" : "${=testRunner.testCase.getProperty('id')}"

"ticketId" : "${=testRunner.testCase.getPropertyValue('id')}"

// just tried the following since nothing else seemed to work
    "ticketId" : "${=testRunner.testCase.testSuite.getProperty('id')}"

"ticketId" : "${=testRunner.testCase.testSuite.getPropertyValue('id')}"

Just to be clear: the property in the testcase is successfully set by the property-transfer, so there is a valid value at runtime.