Forum Discussion

Xour
Occasional Contributor
8 years ago
Solved

[Solved] [JDBC] Cannot connect to a MS SQL database

Hello. I'm having issues connecting to a MS SQL database with JDBC. I went to the JDBC drivers page and saw that there isn't a download link for MS SQL driver. So I went to the Microsoft website and downloaded the Microsoft JDBC Drivers 6.0, 4.2, 4.1, and 4.0 for SQL Server.

I extracted the file and added both sqljdbc.jar and sqljdbc4.jar (individually) but whenever I try to test the connection I get the following error message:

com.eviware.soapui.support.SoapUIException: Failed to init connection for driver [com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.SQLServerDriver], connectionString [jdbc:microsoft:sqlserver://HOSTNAME\SQLExpress:3306;databaseName=MYDB;user=USER&password=PASS]

I checked the SoapUI log and the drivers are being loaded. For example:

Mon Dec 05 08:08:21 PST 2016:INFO:Adding [C:\Program Files\SoapUI-5.2.1\bin\ext\sqljdbc.jar] to extensions classpath

According to the error log, it seems that the driver loaded isn't the correct one:

Mon Dec 05 08:35:48 PST 2016:ERROR:java.sql.SQLException: No suitable driver

Obviously I'm doing something wrong here. Can someone help to me to understand where I'm making the mistake? If it helps, the db connection works (checked with MS SQL Server Manager) and I was able to connect to a MySQL db using SoapUI (different db though).

Thanks for reading and I appreciate any advice you may have!

PaulMS
    8 years ago

The driver is missing an r at the end (again the JDBC Driver List page is wrong) and you don't need MSSQL(MicrosoftDriver)/ at the start.
    Try
    com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.SQLServerDriver

Also copy sqljdbc4.jar to C:\Program Files\SmartBear\SoapUI-5.2.1\bin\ext

20 Replies

PaulMS
    Super Contributor

I had the same problem because the connection string example on the JDBC Driver List page is wrong.

jdbc:microsoft:sqlserver://HOSTNAME\SQLExpress:3306;databaseName=MYDB;user=USER&password=PASS

should be 

jdbc:sqlserver://HOSTNAME\SQLExpress:3306;databaseName=MYDB;user=USER;password=PASS

Xour
      Occasional Contributor

I realized that yesterday morning, forgot to update the thread!

Took me quite a while to figure it out haha

Thanks!

divergentor
    Occasional Contributor

Thank you guys for help. 

Now everything is ok and I can work with my local DB.

If you don't mind I keep my steps here, maybe it can help somebody.

If you are using local DB

1) Put sqljdbc4.jar file to the directory C:\Program Files\SmartBear\SoapUI-5.2.1\lib. Do not use version sqljdbc41.jar and sqljdbc42.jar. (They do not work for some reason for me.)
    2) Turn on SQL server browser
    3) Go to the SQL server configuration/ choose SQL server network configuration and set TCP/IP enable
    4) Restart the SQL server
    5) In the test case create a JDBC step with properties
    Driver
    Connection Sting (example)
    jdbc:sqlserver://localhost\sqlexpress;databaseName=DataDB;user=admin;password=admin

nkpalli
      Contributor

Trying to connect to  SQL server Database on remote server using SOAPUI 5.2.1 version and running into issues :  

pre-requisite :  i have downloaded sqljdbc4.jar file and put that in local  directory C:\Program Files\SmartBear\SoapUI-5.2.1\lib

1) created a JDBC step with properties

Driver : com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.SQLServerDriver

Connection Sting: jdbc:sqlserver://databaseserver/instance;databaseName=test;integratedSecurity=true

here below is error message: 

com.eviware.soapui.support.SoapUIException: Failed to init connection for driver [com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.SQLServerDriver], connectionString [jdbc:sqlserver://databaseserver/instance;databaseName=test;integratedSecurity=true]

2)Turn on SQL server browser
      4) Go to the SQL server configuration/ choose SQL server network configuration and set TCP/IP enable
      5) Restart the SQL server
      still cannot connect . Any suggestions ? 

divergentor
    Occasional Contributor

Hello, nkpalli.

Try to revert slash in your connection string.

Your connection string
    jdbc:sqlserver://databaseserver/instance;databaseName=test;integratedSecurity=true

Should be
    jdbc:sqlserver://databaseserver\instance;databaseName=test;integratedSecurity=true

And second point, maybe it doesn't work without login and password?

SuperSingh
      Contributor

I have followed the exact steps, but am not able to get the connection to JDBC.

(Note that DB is on a remote machine)

I am working on Soap UI Open Source.

Here is the data I provided

SQL Driver : com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.SQLServerDriver

Connection String: jdbc:sqlserver://Servername\name:port;databaseName=dbname;username=username;password=password

(I tried by removing port number also)

sqljdbc_auth.dll stored in Bin folder of SoapUI

sqljdbc4.jar stored in ext folder of SoapUI

Running this gives the following error :

Can't get the Connection for specified properties; com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.SQLServerException: The server version is not supported. The target server must be SQL Server 2000 or later.

Appreciate any help !

Thanks

Predator

PaulMS
        Super Contributor

What SQL version number can you see if you connect to the database server in SQL server management?

Did you download the latest Microsoft JDBC Driver 6.0 for SQL Server?

divergentor
    Occasional Contributor

Hello.

I have the same problem and I still could not solve it. Maybe you can help me.

1) I have downloaded Microsoft JDBC Driver 6.0 for SQL Server.

2) From this folder I took file sqljdbc.jar and copy paste it to the folders 

C:\Program Files\SmartBear\SoapUI-5.2.1\bin\ext

and

C:\Program Files\SmartBear\SoapUI-5.2.1\lib

3) I configured my JDBC step as

Driver

MSSQL(MicrosoftDriver)/com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.SQLServerDrive

Connection String

jdbc:sqlserver://localhost\sqlexpress;databaseName=DataVision;user=admin;password=admin

After check connection I see the error as you

com.eviware.soapui.support.SoapUIException: Failed to init connection for driver [MSSQL(MicrosoftDriver)/com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.SQLServerDrive], connectionString [jdbc:sqlserver://localhost\sqlexpress;databaseName=DataVision;user=admin;password=admin]

this is scr with my example

Could you please push me to the right may. 

Thx in advance.

Xour
      Occasional Contributor

I'll try for sure.

This is the current configuration for my JDBC step:

- Driver: com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.SQLServerDriver

- Connection String: jdbc:sqlserver://HOSTNAME\sqlexpress;databaseName=MYDB;username=USER;password=PASS

- Driver File: C:\Program Files\SoapUI-5.2.1\bin\ext\sqljdbc4.jar

And that's it!

Let me know if it works

wujianyy
        Contributor

Another solution is to use groovy script.  You can use Windows Authentication to access sql server database. 

Notice of extra jar and dll: 

1 The files of JDBC driver(MSSQL(MicrosoftDriver)/com.microsoft.sqlserver.jdbc.SQLServerDrive) isn't distributed with SoapUI Free version. .jar and .dll must be copied into the folder of Soapui folder.

- sqljdbc_auth.dll must be copied to ..\SoapUI-5.2.1\bin\
        - sqljdbc42.jar must be copied to ..\SoapUI-5.2.1\lib\.

2 JDBC driver link https://www.soapui.org/jdbc/reference/jdbc-drivers.html

3 sqljdbc42.jar can be used in jdk 1.8

PaulMS
      Super Contributor

The driver is missing an r at the end (again the JDBC Driver List page is wrong) and you don't need MSSQL(MicrosoftDriver)/ at the start.
      Try

Also copy sqljdbc4.jar to C:\Program Files\SmartBear\SoapUI-5.2.1\bin\ext